Page 1 of 1

New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:26 pm
by nashio966
Hi Chaps!

I'm Ben, I'm 24 years old I work for the Police, and I'm absolutely obsessed with cars. Spend a lot of my time fiddling with mechanical sort of things! I love engines, especially V12's Though the ones I spend my weekends playing with Wouldn't fit easily in a Jag :mrgreen:

Image

Im the rather podgy chap on the right! with my hands deep in the Cylinder heads of a 37litre V12 :D

Anyway! I'm on the lookout for a bit of a project at the moment, love the XJ12 - Look forward to meeting some of you at some point in the future, learning lots from the forum and having a good time :)

Re: New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:30 pm
by J44EAG
Welcome!

Is that an RR Griffon on a Shackleton?

Mike K

Re: New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:33 pm
by nashio966
Hi Mike :)

It is indeed, That would be WR963 at Baginton Airport (Coventry) And as far as I'm Aware, She's the last in the northern hemisphere capable of moving under her own power :)

This is her running in Jan This year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Q5jrV7Ja4

Enjoy :mrgreen:

Re: New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:51 pm
by J44EAG
There used to be one at St Mawgan but I think that one moved on.

I remember seeing one flying over Cromer Pier when I was around ten years old. 1968 perhaps. Fantastic sound.

Mike

Re: New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:04 pm
by nashio966
The Mawgan one is still there, though for how long I don't know :( Monstrous sound, We all have a dream for WR963 but it needs LOTS of money :roll:

Re: New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:13 pm
by robv12
Ben, hi, you have my details now of the V12 I have for sale, I missed this post somehow, we did the Lancaster ride at East Kirby, fantastic, the 11th, of the 11th at 11.00 am in 2010, quite quite special, a very emotional day, my mate who went with me on the day works with one of the guys who services the engines on that very Lanc, Just Jane

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/rr14 ... 1QQtppZZ24

and here is said man elbow deep in V12 on said lanc

Image

Image

apologies, nothing to do with Jaguar or the JEC, but may interest a few on here, and, I enjoyed it so there!!!

Re: New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:14 pm
by nashio966
Hi Rob

Just Jane is utterly breathtaking! I cant wait to see her back in the air again where she belongs! (Wont be too long hopefully)

You cant beat proper english engineering, when it comes to the shack, as my sig suggests, it really is "hammer fixes everything" :mrgreen:

Re: New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:56 pm
by J44EAG
"The Brothers" who have so painstakingly rebuilt Lancaster, Just Jane deserve a medal for amazing fortitude. Top Guys both. So much work has gone into that aircraft, that it will be a serious red letter day when she eventually takes to the skies again. Imagine if she could fly again in company with the BBMF Lancaster!

The Lancaster is the "Grand-dad" of all heavy bombers. Redesigned by the incredible Roy Chadwick as the Lincoln, with more power, longer wings and a larger fuselage, that became the "Father" to the Shackleton. In turn, "Son" of Lincoln became a design pushed to reliable limits with further modifications and instead of 27 litre RR Merlins, 37 litre RR Griffon engines with contra-rotating propellers were fitted.

Griffon engines made the Spitfire competitive in the later stages of the war. That engine came into its own when fitted to the Shackleton. What an aircraft a Shackleton is. Oh, to see one of those fly again!

Here is some more gen on the Shackleton and its development.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... Sk5CFybRsw

Mike

Re: New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:19 am
by Vonredbeard
Welcome! I spent a chunk of last week elbow deep in a Silver Shadow's engine. Not quite the same as a Griff but close enough! :)

Re: New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:25 am
by nashio966
Always have been a fan of mr Chadwick's designs ;)

I found a common misconception was that the most seem to think that the Griff is a "bored out" Merlin - both are totally separate designs and both were around during the early stages of the war, very closely related to the engines in the Schneider cub S6b racers :)

Anyway enough of the rambling aircraft lunacy! Unfortunately being 24 I never really had the fortune to appreciate these awesome aircraft in their element (the shack that is)

Someday Eh! Anyway Im going to look at Rob's XJ12 on saturday, who knows, I may even buy her :mrgreen: