New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag

User avatar
nashio966
Posts:14
Joined:Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:01 pm
Location:Warwickshire
New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Postby nashio966 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:26 pm

Hi Chaps!

I'm Ben, I'm 24 years old I work for the Police, and I'm absolutely obsessed with cars. Spend a lot of my time fiddling with mechanical sort of things! I love engines, especially V12's Though the ones I spend my weekends playing with Wouldn't fit easily in a Jag :mrgreen:

Image

Im the rather podgy chap on the right! with my hands deep in the Cylinder heads of a 37litre V12 :D

Anyway! I'm on the lookout for a bit of a project at the moment, love the XJ12 - Look forward to meeting some of you at some point in the future, learning lots from the forum and having a good time :)
Image

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Postby J44EAG » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:30 pm

Welcome!

Is that an RR Griffon on a Shackleton?

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

User avatar
nashio966
Posts:14
Joined:Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:01 pm
Location:Warwickshire

Re: New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Postby nashio966 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi Mike :)

It is indeed, That would be WR963 at Baginton Airport (Coventry) And as far as I'm Aware, She's the last in the northern hemisphere capable of moving under her own power :)

This is her running in Jan This year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Q5jrV7Ja4

Enjoy :mrgreen:
Image

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Postby J44EAG » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:51 pm

There used to be one at St Mawgan but I think that one moved on.

I remember seeing one flying over Cromer Pier when I was around ten years old. 1968 perhaps. Fantastic sound.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

User avatar
nashio966
Posts:14
Joined:Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:01 pm
Location:Warwickshire

Re: New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Postby nashio966 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:04 pm

The Mawgan one is still there, though for how long I don't know :( Monstrous sound, We all have a dream for WR963 but it needs LOTS of money :roll:
Image

User avatar
robv12

Member
Posts:2080
Joined:Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:11 am
Location:scottish borders

Re: New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Postby robv12 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Ben, hi, you have my details now of the V12 I have for sale, I missed this post somehow, we did the Lancaster ride at East Kirby, fantastic, the 11th, of the 11th at 11.00 am in 2010, quite quite special, a very emotional day, my mate who went with me on the day works with one of the guys who services the engines on that very Lanc, Just Jane

http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/rr14 ... 1QQtppZZ24

and here is said man elbow deep in V12 on said lanc

Image

Image

apologies, nothing to do with Jaguar or the JEC, but may interest a few on here, and, I enjoyed it so there!!!
88 3.6 XJ40 EX JDHT
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK

User avatar
nashio966
Posts:14
Joined:Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:01 pm
Location:Warwickshire

Re: New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Postby nashio966 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi Rob

Just Jane is utterly breathtaking! I cant wait to see her back in the air again where she belongs! (Wont be too long hopefully)

You cant beat proper english engineering, when it comes to the shack, as my sig suggests, it really is "hammer fixes everything" :mrgreen:
Image

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Postby J44EAG » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:56 pm

"The Brothers" who have so painstakingly rebuilt Lancaster, Just Jane deserve a medal for amazing fortitude. Top Guys both. So much work has gone into that aircraft, that it will be a serious red letter day when she eventually takes to the skies again. Imagine if she could fly again in company with the BBMF Lancaster!

The Lancaster is the "Grand-dad" of all heavy bombers. Redesigned by the incredible Roy Chadwick as the Lincoln, with more power, longer wings and a larger fuselage, that became the "Father" to the Shackleton. In turn, "Son" of Lincoln became a design pushed to reliable limits with further modifications and instead of 27 litre RR Merlins, 37 litre RR Griffon engines with contra-rotating propellers were fitted.

Griffon engines made the Spitfire competitive in the later stages of the war. That engine came into its own when fitted to the Shackleton. What an aircraft a Shackleton is. Oh, to see one of those fly again!

Here is some more gen on the Shackleton and its development.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... Sk5CFybRsw

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

User avatar
Vonredbeard
Posts:18
Joined:Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:43 pm
Location:Edinburgh, Scotland
Contact:

Re: New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Postby Vonredbeard » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:19 am

Welcome! I spent a chunk of last week elbow deep in a Silver Shadow's engine. Not quite the same as a Griff but close enough! :)
Bob Murphy
1997 XJ6 4.0 Sovereign
My other car's a Ford...

User avatar
nashio966
Posts:14
Joined:Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:01 pm
Location:Warwickshire

Re: New Chap Here - Be Gentle!

Postby nashio966 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:25 am

Always have been a fan of mr Chadwick's designs ;)

I found a common misconception was that the most seem to think that the Griff is a "bored out" Merlin - both are totally separate designs and both were around during the early stages of the war, very closely related to the engines in the Schneider cub S6b racers :)

Anyway enough of the rambling aircraft lunacy! Unfortunately being 24 I never really had the fortune to appreciate these awesome aircraft in their element (the shack that is)

Someday Eh! Anyway Im going to look at Rob's XJ12 on saturday, who knows, I may even buy her :mrgreen:
Image


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests