Page 1 of 1

AJ16 engine stalls and gearbox goes into limp-home mode

Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:14 am
by BigCatXJS
Hi All,
After many trouble-free miles, my X300 Daimler Six has developed an annoying problem.

The intermittent issue occurs when approaching a junction such as a roundabout. The engine correctly idles whilst braking from 20-30 mph but can then stall at around 10 mph. The dash lamps then light up (expected), I slide the J-gate shifter into Neutral, pull the key back to position one, then re-start the car (an audible beeping is heard momentarily). The car restarts, but limp-home mode is activated (transmission lamp is on)! This is very annoying and dangerous at junctions! Fortunately, it has only happened twice so far. I have taken it to a Specialist who was only able to find a Stall code on the ECU - so nothing else to really go on. Both Stall events have taken place over four days. I should point-out that leaving the car for 5 mins or so seems to reset something as the gearbox is no longer in limp-home mode upon starting.

I had a quick search and so far the Transmission Control Module and the underneath pin connection have been cited as potential issues - I'll check these soon.

Any ideas / suggestions folks? The car is my daily runner.

Many thanks in anticipation, Rich.

Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:26 am
by BigCatXJS
Sorry - forgot to mention that occasionally, the engine hunts between 400 and 600 rpm when in Drive and slowing-down. Engine idle is solid when in Neutral or Park.

UPDATE

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:39 am
by BigCatXJS
We suspect the near-side rear wheel sensor. The wheel-bearing was replaced some weeks ago as part of some MOT remediation work. So it could well be that the wheel sensor was damaged at the same time.

Worryingly, my ABS lamp seems not to be working / is missing! Should find out today if the replacement wheel sensor has cured all ills and if the ABS bulb was removed. If it was then I will be raising this with garage that performed the MOT and wheel bearing replacement :evil:

Resolution

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:21 am
by BigCatXJS
So the near-side rear wheel sensor (also refered to as an ABS sensor) was, indeed, damaged. The ABS warning light had also been "disabled".

A fairly lengthy e-mail to the garage concerned has resulted in an offer to fully refund the cost of the original repair and all costs incurred in remediating the situation. This seems fair enough to me, so I'll probably accept.