Wheel nuts / hub crossed threads

Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag

User avatar
eb96pfh

Member
Posts:22
Joined:Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:37 pm
Location:North London
Wheel nuts / hub crossed threads

Postby eb96pfh » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:02 pm

Hi

Having just changed the tyres on my XJR6, the garage found the wheel nuts really difficult to get off, as it looks like someone has fitted them badly previously and partially stripped the threads.

Obviously I can buy more wheel nuts, but does anyone know how easy it is to change the threads on the hubs? I've never dismantled such bits and don't know what's involved.

Having spoken to the garage which (by a process of elimination) is the cause, I was told where I could stick my query, so I'm not envisaging any help on that front...

Many thanks

Pete

Brakebuster
Posts:3145
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Location:Gloucester UK

Postby Brakebuster » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:32 am

quite easy to do m8

go to Jaguar and buy some studs for the wheel hubs, they come in around a fiver each , or a little less i think,

then with the car securely raised and with the wheel off hammer out the offending stud back towards the car

i would recommend getting an old wheel nut on the end to give you a bigger target to hit, and also use a good size lump hammer

(you could also use a bearing puller/pusher if you have one that fits , clamp round the hub and push out the stud by winding the middle...)

this will push the stud out of the rear of the hub , once the splines have cleared it will wiggle out


to install the new one, simply clean up the hole of any grime and debris and put in from behind while locating the splines, do not hit this stud, simply put on the wheel and wind up the nut as normal to the correct torque

take the wheel back off, inspect it to ensure correct fitting etc, and then correctly fit the wheel again

BB



User avatar
eb96pfh

Member
Posts:22
Joined:Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:37 pm
Location:North London

Postby eb96pfh » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:46 pm

Fantastic, thanks for the reply. I was worried I'd have to replace the entire hubs all round the car. This sounds much more manageable!

Pete


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests