X300 Sovereign Wheel Options

Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag

Slightly

Member
Posts:12
Joined:Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:21 pm
X300 Sovereign Wheel Options

Postby Slightly » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:40 pm

I would like to buy a spare set of Jaguar BBS 'winter' wheels for a 96 Sovereign 4.0 - currently on 'Kiwi' 225/55/16 7J.

I'm led to believe I can run 255/40/18 8.5J wheels from an XJ8 of similar vintage. Negligible overall height differences but over 1" width-wise, offset (33) and stud pattern (120) are the same.

Bearing in mind the softer suspension set up of a Sovereign, are there any thoughts or information around on this notion? Not looking for 'performance' benefits - merely aesthetics without being stupid!

PeterDavisX300
Posts:287
Joined:Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:17 am

Re: X300 Sovereign Wheel Options

Postby PeterDavisX300 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:37 pm

Hi

Of course having spare winter wheels, or any spare wheels is a great idea, but a very personal taste. For winter, 'thinner' is better, with a high aspect ratio and a M & S tyre. I would go for a 'Jaguar' Steel rim second-hand. 16 inch by 7 inch.

I have 'Kiwi' on my X300, and that is my personal taste, the 'Kiwi' is only a Seven inch rim, my car originated with 'Dimple' I think this is a Seven inch rim as well. However, my car came to me second-hand with XJ8 'Starburst' Ten spokes, that I didn't like but still have in the shed. 'Starburst' are an Eight inch rim, and I know for a fact with 235/50/16, the tyre rubbed the inner-arch, probably to do with the wheels offset. My car also has the 'Comfort' suspension of the Sovereign although a 'base' model. If you change your 'aspect' ratio, you'll get a harsher ride along with not really better handling because the car will still roll about the same, mind-you as you say it might look like the car has 'fuller' wheel-arches and perhaps in some peoples eyes that is better aesthetically. Also, if you put wider tyres on with lower aspect-ratio your 'wet-weather' handling will suffer, and if you ever go out in snow, (as I often do) then you'll get very little grip. On the flip side of the coin, the dry weather grip will be noticably better. I drive my car as it sould be, and I can assure you that these cars handle very well, a very balanced almost 50/50 handling, I have surprised very many young-lads in 'Pocket-Rockets' when leaving late to brake, then 'Power-Sliding' around a roundabout, and then foot to the floor after the apex to leave them almost standing-still! This all on Seven-Inch 'Kiwi' with 225/60/16. Remember the car was designed by Engineers that went into every detail about what wheels and tyre-size to put on these cars, that is why the XJR has a completely different wheel-rim, and suspension set-up, it has so much more power. Also, be aware that with larger rims and lower aspects tyres generally become quite a bit more expensive to purchase initially, and they wear quicker.

I have a copy of 'Autocar' October 1994 where they test the 'New-Jag' against the then BMW 540i. The jag comes out better overall, handling as well as the BMW, and this on 'Kiwi'. I have a friend with a 530i of the same era, and he struggles to stay with my 3.2litre (with a few mods that make it more 'spirited') in all aspects of handling and 'drive'.

In my humble opinion, the Jaguar is best suited to 'Jaguar' specified wheels of 16 or 17 inch diameter. (17 for some XJ8 or 'R' versions) I would always sit the car on the 'close-to' of it's designed aspect-ratio tyres for it's suspension set-up. There are quite a number of 'Jaguar' wheels out there for a great price, and remember, that if you put on 'Non' Jaguar wheels, you would be best to contact your insurance for 'implications'. Again, 'Non' standard wheels may not fit the hubs properly and need 'plastic-inserts' to 'centre' them on the 'hub-flange'.

Now, if you can get a set of the 16 by 8 'Starburst' Seven spokes................(instead of the more available Ten spokes)....Then you're 'Golden'!

Food for thought.

Peter
1984 Mercedes 450SL Rag-Top

Slightly

Member
Posts:12
Joined:Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:21 pm

Re: X300 Sovereign Wheel Options

Postby Slightly » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:46 am

Thanks Peter - that all makes perfect sense. I think I may buy another set of Kiwis and keep the best ones as a summer set then.

BTW what are the most effective of the more 'spirited' mods you mention?

PeterDavisX300
Posts:287
Joined:Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:17 am

Re: X300 Sovereign Wheel Options

Postby PeterDavisX300 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:26 pm

Hi Again

The most effective mod is the 'ignition-advancer'. It's on here somewhere for about £75. An easy fit, and quite good at ironing out the standard slightly 'flat-spot', it also gives the car a bit more oomph up higher, and better fuel consumption. I've had other small mods done, but an expensive one is a bespoke 'Stainless-Steel' exhaust system that does away with those horrble underfloor silencers/secondary cats. My car is only slightly more 'Burbly'.
Peter
1984 Mercedes 450SL Rag-Top


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests