Can anybody recommend a battery conditioner suitable for the X300. I am looking at CTEK but there are CTEK MXS 5.0, CTEK MXS 7.0 or CTEK MXS 10! They range from approx £70 to £130 so quite a big difference! Are they all suitable for such a big battery and what are the advantages of paying the extra?
Thanks Tim
Which battery conditioner?
Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag
- timedwards
- Posts:95
- Joined:Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:02 pm
- Location:Dudley, West Midlands
XE R-Sport (25t) petrol - daily driver
X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!
X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!
-
PeterDavisX300
- Posts:287
- Joined:Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:17 am
Re: Which battery conditioner?
Hi Tim
I've just got an 'Optimate' on my X300. Used it for about Five years with no problems.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPTIMATE-ACC ... SwX9FZFct2
That link is to an 'Accumate'. Same thing really, I've used these chargers for years on all my Cars and Bikes, from 1960's cars and Bikes to present day, and currently have Four on the go at this minute, one on the Jaguar, both Bikes, and a Lawn-mower. Two are the exact model above.
Hth
Peter
I've just got an 'Optimate' on my X300. Used it for about Five years with no problems.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPTIMATE-ACC ... SwX9FZFct2
That link is to an 'Accumate'. Same thing really, I've used these chargers for years on all my Cars and Bikes, from 1960's cars and Bikes to present day, and currently have Four on the go at this minute, one on the Jaguar, both Bikes, and a Lawn-mower. Two are the exact model above.
Hth
Peter
1984 Mercedes 450SL Rag-Top
Re: Which battery conditioner?
Never one to spend more cash than I must, I went for the CTEK 5.0 and am very happy with it. I use it to keep batteries topped up and conditioned, not to re-charge from empty. Having said that, as a measure of performance, the 5.0 claims to re-charge from empty to 80% in 26 hrs for a 110Ah battery and 12 hrs for a 60Ah battery.
Robbie
Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Re: Which battery conditioner?
Tim,
CTEK MXS 5.0 for me. At our storage unit, my friends and I have 14 of these supporting everything Ferraris to Range Rovers. Great piece of kit. However, do shop around very carefully as there are huge variations on price. £68 - £147 today on ebay.
Good luck
Paul
CTEK MXS 5.0 for me. At our storage unit, my friends and I have 14 of these supporting everything Ferraris to Range Rovers. Great piece of kit. However, do shop around very carefully as there are huge variations on price. £68 - £147 today on ebay.
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
- timedwards
- Posts:95
- Joined:Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:02 pm
- Location:Dudley, West Midlands
Re: Which battery conditioner?
Definately not keen on spending money I don't have to either so what I save now will go towards the i930 diagnostic device that I also need. Thanks for the great advice everyone.
Cheers all
Tim
Cheers all
Tim
XE R-Sport (25t) petrol - daily driver
X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!
X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: Which battery conditioner?
I'm not an admirer of these battery "conditioners". They are nothing more than a normal battery charger with some clever monitoring electronics that control their on / off / trickle current abilities. And uptodate isolation.
While the 5.0 (5 amp max charge current) could be useful for some who only use their hobby car say once or twice in winter on a sunny Sunday afternoon, a decent battery that's not nearing end of life should retain it's charge state and thus starting capability for at least a month. If it won't start a car then there's either a wiring fault leading to current drain when IGN is off, or the battery's duff.
My ancient and probably not safe by today's standards £5.99 from Woolies trickle charger has managed to stay with me since the early 80s. And apart from when I've bought a car (more often than not) that doesn't have a decent life battery in it, a few hours on it (4 amp trickle down to 2.5A steady) does the starting trick.
So why spend up to 10x a standard charger's price? Spend that on a decent battery
While the 5.0 (5 amp max charge current) could be useful for some who only use their hobby car say once or twice in winter on a sunny Sunday afternoon, a decent battery that's not nearing end of life should retain it's charge state and thus starting capability for at least a month. If it won't start a car then there's either a wiring fault leading to current drain when IGN is off, or the battery's duff.
My ancient and probably not safe by today's standards £5.99 from Woolies trickle charger has managed to stay with me since the early 80s. And apart from when I've bought a car (more often than not) that doesn't have a decent life battery in it, a few hours on it (4 amp trickle down to 2.5A steady) does the starting trick.
So why spend up to 10x a standard charger's price? Spend that on a decent battery
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Re: Which battery conditioner?
There is rather more to it than that.They are nothing more than a normal battery charger with some clever monitoring electronics that control their on / off / trickle current abilities.
The quality of the charging voltage and charging current is very important. A high current ripple heats up the battery which has an ageing effect on the positive electrode. High voltage ripple could harm other equipment that is connected to the battery. CTEK battery chargers produce very clean voltage and current with low ripple.
The de-sulphation feature restores reduced battery capacity by removing sulphation from the plates.
The analysis and soft start features warn if the battery is unable to accept a charge and/or retain a charge.
The recondition program creates controlled gassing which mixes the battery acid restoring energy to the battery.
I have used both the the CTEK and the old single stage trickle chargers in my time - and would never go back to the old system. You should try the new ones, Richard - you may be pleasantly surprised.
BTW I have no affiliation to any company making or selling batteries or chargers.
Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Re: Which battery conditioner?
Not exactly related but I do have memories in the '60s of my dad using a rusty and battered battery charger on his car, he had to remove the caps on the cells to stop the battery exploding and you could see the acid boiling inside 
Re: Which battery conditioner?
Ah, the good old days - before Health and Safety spoiled all the fun of learning about chemistry at home!Not exactly related but I do have memories in the '60s of my dad using a rusty and battered battery charger on his car, he had to remove the caps on the cells to stop the battery exploding and you could see the acid boiling inside
R
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests
