Instrument Cluster Faulty

Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag

doctor_b
Posts:5
Joined:Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:16 pm
Instrument Cluster Faulty

Postby doctor_b » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:26 pm

I seemed to have stopped my speedo from working! I took the instrument cluster out to change some bulbs, in the process, I un plugged the mileage display, but just plugged it back in again. I put it all back together, but now when I start the ignition the car "bleeps" at me and I get a message saying "Er" on the heater display and the speedo doesn't work! I am not aware I have broken anything, I didn't drop it or anything and was very careful with it. All the other gauges work, the car starts drives, etc, everything is normal except the speedo doesn't work! I've checked all the plugs to make sure it is all plugged in fully, etc! I wonder is there something I need to do to reset it perhaps? I tried disconnecting the battery for a few mins, but it still not working. Any ideas?

User avatar
6sabre
Posts:18
Joined:Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:45 am
Location:Cross Hands, Dyfed, Wales

Re: Instrument Cluster Faulty

Postby 6sabre » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:50 pm

Well if all the connections are correct, i.e. I dont know if its possible to connect any wrong way up, battery disconnect would be my first step
Steve

doctor_b
Posts:5
Joined:Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Re: Instrument Cluster Faulty

Postby doctor_b » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:31 pm

tried disconnecting the battery for a few mins, but it still not working

User avatar
Popsjag

Moderator
Posts:415
Joined:Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:06 pm
Location:Deeside, North Wales

Re: Instrument Cluster Faulty

Postby Popsjag » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:25 pm

Never come across this problem, but this link to an old topic may be of some help:
viewtopic.php?t=2167
2003 X350 XJR - daily driver
--------------------------------
Past vehicles:
1996 3.2 XJ6; 2004 2.7D Sport; 1996 4.0 LWB Sovereign;
1994 2.9 XJ40; 1978 5.3 Series 2 LWB

User avatar
6sabre
Posts:18
Joined:Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:45 am
Location:Cross Hands, Dyfed, Wales

Re: Instrument Cluster Faulty

Postby 6sabre » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:09 pm

If a battery disconnect didnt help. I think you will need to remove again and make sure non of the contact/connections are wrong or damaged.
Steve

doctor_b
Posts:5
Joined:Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Re: Instrument Cluster Faulty

Postby doctor_b » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:28 pm

I think it is a loose wire in one of the plugs at the back, as I've been trying different things and had the speedo working twice, but when I the fitted the cluster back in the dash it stopped again, so probably a loose wire! How do I find out what ones are the speedo wires and fix loose wires?

User avatar
6sabre
Posts:18
Joined:Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:45 am
Location:Cross Hands, Dyfed, Wales

Re: Instrument Cluster Faulty

Postby 6sabre » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:16 am

Generally speaking when a wire becomes 'loose' after taking a plug off, its because the pin itself has come out of the connector.
They usually have a small 'barb' to keep them in th plug. You may need to lift that and push it back into the connector plug. (noddy drawing attached)
Attachments
jag clip.png
jag clip.png (5.34KiB)Viewed 2149 times
Steve

doctor_b
Posts:5
Joined:Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Re: Instrument Cluster Faulty

Postby doctor_b » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:46 pm

OK thanks I'll take a look at that and give it a try!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests