Hello!
I've just came across one interesting problem with my XJ. Apparently, one of the tyres is quite worn and, probably, damaged. It is not holding the pressure any more, and should be replaced. The only thing, that confuses me, is that fitted tyres are all of the wrong size.
Talking about Pirelli tyres. To start with, the vehicle care handbook it is recommended to fit Pirelli P6000 225/55 to 'Dimple' alloys (all others that are of 8J x 16 size), however, for 7J x 16 sized rims it is recommended to fit Pirelli P4000 225/60.
I've got all four 'Dimple' alloys. So, on three wheels I've got Pirelly P6000 225/60 and on one P4000 225/60 (the one that's failing) - all of the wrong size!
Now the problem - there are no P6000 in the size 225/60, only 225/55 (those are even specially labelled for Jags)! Since I want to change just one tyre, I want to get a tyre that would better match other three P6000s. What is better to put P6000 of slightly smaller size but with the same threads as all others or get the right size but different tyre, for example, Pirelly P7 225/60 Cinturato?
I would appreciate any suggestions!
P.S. I've got XJ 3.2 Executive from 1997.
P.P.S. How did previous owner manage to get all tyres wrong? Was it a practice by Jaguar? In the end, where did he get all those now non-existing tyres (the newest P6000 tyre, according to D.O.T. code, is from 2007)?
X300 correct tyres for 'dimple' alloys
Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag
X300 Executive Auto, 3.2L, 1997
Re: X300 correct tyres for 'dimple' alloys
maxbozon,
A similar problem is had by other model owners. Late XJSs were fitted with Pirelli 225/60 tyres if spec'd with Comfort suspension or Pirelli 225/55 tyres if fitted with Sports suspension, all on the same size rim. all the tyres were J marked for Jaguar. In addition 16" wheels on X308s were fitted with P6000 225/60 tyres.
As you've found out, Pirelli P6000 225/60 are no longer made. As an owner of both models so impacted, I've moved to P6000 225/55s on the XJS and bought 2nd-hand P6000 225/60s for the X308.
I didn't think that Pirelli made the P7 in 225/60 16 size, I thought they were all 17" or 18"?
If it were me and I was thinking of keeping your car, I would get two P6000 225/55s (new or used) to replace the damaged tyre and the other one on the same axle. You've then got one spare 225/60. Over time you could then move the other axle to 225/55s as the P6000 225/60s become difficult to find in good condition 2nd-hand.
Alternatively you could find a good 2nd-hand P6000 225/60 and defer the problem for a bit longer.
Just an idea....
Good luck with your choice
Paul
A similar problem is had by other model owners. Late XJSs were fitted with Pirelli 225/60 tyres if spec'd with Comfort suspension or Pirelli 225/55 tyres if fitted with Sports suspension, all on the same size rim. all the tyres were J marked for Jaguar. In addition 16" wheels on X308s were fitted with P6000 225/60 tyres.
As you've found out, Pirelli P6000 225/60 are no longer made. As an owner of both models so impacted, I've moved to P6000 225/55s on the XJS and bought 2nd-hand P6000 225/60s for the X308.
I didn't think that Pirelli made the P7 in 225/60 16 size, I thought they were all 17" or 18"?
If it were me and I was thinking of keeping your car, I would get two P6000 225/55s (new or used) to replace the damaged tyre and the other one on the same axle. You've then got one spare 225/60. Over time you could then move the other axle to 225/55s as the P6000 225/60s become difficult to find in good condition 2nd-hand.
Alternatively you could find a good 2nd-hand P6000 225/60 and defer the problem for a bit longer.
Just an idea....
Good luck with your choice
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: X300 correct tyres for 'dimple' alloys
How important is it to pay the extra £33 a corner for factory spec P6000s as opposed to say, Kumho KH31s or a Falken FK452s? I'm not after a judgement on the relative merits of the tyres, just whether the suspension 'prefers' the originals - for example with regard to tramlining.
Thanks.
Thanks.
Jaguar Sovereign 3.2 LWB - one of only 305 built!
Morocco Red with Cream and Coffee Leather
Registered December 95 and factory fitted with Sports Suspension and 16" Dimple Alloys
Morocco Red with Cream and Coffee Leather
Registered December 95 and factory fitted with Sports Suspension and 16" Dimple Alloys
Re: X300 correct tyres for 'dimple' alloys
I agree with both answers to the original question, you pays your money and takes your choice, I will admit to buying part worns for my cars, especially if they do low mileage and light use as some do, however I always ensure I buy in pairs, or singles with a similar amount of wear, but the same make and size for all four corners, and always a good quality branded name, just the way I do things as economically as I can
88 3.6 XJ40 EX JDHT
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
Re: X300 correct tyres for 'dimple' alloys
Thanks very much for the answers.
So, today I ended up putting a pair of new Continental Premium Contact. I decided not to bother buying second-hand ones for two reasons - this size is not very common and used tyre is worse than the new
I have to admit that rubber on the new tyres is much more 'sticky' than on the old ones, which are still on the front, I guess it is about rubber getting old and losing its elastic properties. So I'm thinking of replacing front ones as well - that's safety in the end.
So, today I ended up putting a pair of new Continental Premium Contact. I decided not to bother buying second-hand ones for two reasons - this size is not very common and used tyre is worse than the new
I have to admit that rubber on the new tyres is much more 'sticky' than on the old ones, which are still on the front, I guess it is about rubber getting old and losing its elastic properties. So I'm thinking of replacing front ones as well - that's safety in the end.
X300 Executive Auto, 3.2L, 1997
Re: X300 correct tyres for 'dimple' alloys
Maxbozon
That's good thinking, those slim bits of rubber are all that's keeping us on the road after all. If you can afford it I would recommend replacing the fronts with a matching pair to the rears ASAP - you'll notice a world of difference I suspect!
New tyres on the front of a Jag make a huge difference I've found.
Best
TonyS
That's good thinking, those slim bits of rubber are all that's keeping us on the road after all. If you can afford it I would recommend replacing the fronts with a matching pair to the rears ASAP - you'll notice a world of difference I suspect!
New tyres on the front of a Jag make a huge difference I've found.
Best
TonyS
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
