dead

Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag

liebherr914
Posts:5
Joined:Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:27 pm
dead

Postby liebherr914 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi hope someone can help parked my 1995 x300 3.2 sport in garage over a week ago, it now wont turnover boot lid wont open, locking wont work have tried jumping direct to starter makes no difference. I have a spare car with everything working have changed a few relays etc . battery going a bit flat now hope someone has a idea

cheers

Straight6DOHC
Posts:25
Joined:Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:58 pm
Location:Lanarkshire

Postby Straight6DOHC » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:33 pm

Need a bit more info from you on this one, mate. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but the info you give is a wee bit scetchy. Is it the central locking that's not working? Did you try to open the boot with the key or the button inside the car?From what you say, first impressions are of a faulty battery. Car hasn't been run for a while and the freezing weather are not good for batteries. I'd start with that. Can you open the boot at all? If the key won't turn the lock to open it, use a donor battery and connect the +ve to one of the terminals in the engine bay (I used the one just near the exhausts manifolds below and just in front of the brake servo. It should have a rubber dust shield over it - remove the rubber to expose the terminal. The -ve lead from your battery can be attached to a manifold/heatshield stud, then get someone to press the boot release button. Get out the battery, charge it and refit - fingers crossed of course.
If you've already done that, let us know and we'll see what else could be wrong. Good luck.

liebherr914
Posts:5
Joined:Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:27 pm

Postby liebherr914 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi,

Yes I've tried pressing the button on the dash and the button on the boot lid it's self, but it still doesn't work. The lock on the boot is seized, and the key will not turn in the lock even after a good spray of WD40. I tried to jump the car on the points you mentioned, it puts the battery gauge up, but still nothing works. I have swapped the body processor unit and still nothing has changed. I have also swapped all the relays i can gain access to, but there is still no joy. I have also checked the fuses that are under the bonnet, but the fuses for the boot are in the boot itself. The central locking just does not work, when you press the button on the fob or the button inside the car nothing happens. The cars battery in the past has been prone to going flat, but has not done so for a very long time.

Thanks for your help

Mark


Straight6DOHC
Posts:25
Joined:Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:58 pm
Location:Lanarkshire

Postby Straight6DOHC » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:08 am

Mark, I appologise if this is an obvious question, but, did you try to open the boot with the donor battery attached as previously described? You don't need to start the car. Just connect the donor battery and press the boot release button inside the car. The barrel of the lock frequently corrodes, so the only way to fix that is to open the boot. http://www.skjagtech.co.uk/support-page ... -lock.html
If you have tried to open the boot that way and it still soesn't work, perhaps there is a problem with the wiring. Unfortunately, there is wiring that breaks on the off side boot hinge - inside the boot.
There is another way to get into the boot if the donor battery method doesn't work. See here: http://www.skjagtech.co.uk/support-page ... -boot.html (no affiliation)
I'm still on the faulty battery being the problem, but it's worthwhile checking all the earths to make sure they have good contact.
Also, does the car know it's in Park (if it's an auto)? Does it light up the 'P'? Give the gear selector a wiggle and you should hear a switch clicking.


liebherr914
Posts:5
Joined:Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:27 pm

Postby liebherr914 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi,

Yes I have tried opening the boot with the donor battery connected, but this still made no change to the cars state. I drilled the boot behind the number plate, and got the boot open and connected the battery to my 4x4 via jump leads while it was running, and nothing changed. I changed the relays in the boot and the central locking button in the car has now illuminated. I have now changed all the modules apart from the Security E.C.M that is behind the fuel filler pipe. Yes, i have tried wiggling the selector as i have encountered the same problem with starting in the past. I have had the battery up to 13.24 volts, which I would think would be enough to get anything to work, but still nothing does.

Many thanks for your help so far.

Mark


Straight6DOHC
Posts:25
Joined:Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:58 pm
Location:Lanarkshire

Postby Straight6DOHC » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:40 pm

I was hoping this would be an easier fix than the security system. The security system ecm is easy enough to remove but I don't know if you can just replace it with your other car's ecm and use the other car's fob (or reprogramme the non-starting car's fob?)
Good luck on this one Mark - sorry I can't help you further. Keep us posted.

liebherr914
Posts:5
Joined:Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:27 pm

Postby liebherr914 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:01 pm

I have now been able to get the car started. I took the battery off and put it on charge and monitored the voltage after charging over a period of time and determined that the battery was not keeping charge at all. So i put on another battery and the car started first time. The central locking ( fob and button in car) and the boot buttons ( Button on boot and button in car) are intermittent, they work for so long and then stop working, and then start working again after you disconnect the battery and reconnect it. The car will start every so often, and will run, but as soon as you switch it off and then try to restart it, it goes back to normal and wont start again unless you disconnect and reconnect the battery.


Thanks for you help so far.


Mark


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests