Clock has nervous breakdown

Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag

CLASSICR
Posts:12
Joined:Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:43 pm
Clock has nervous breakdown

Postby CLASSICR » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:18 pm

I wonder if anyone is able to solve an issue I have with the clock on my 1994 Daimler 6 since I changed the car's battery. Each time I switch off the ignition, it resets itself to a random time (often 1.00 am). I have tried the suggestions in the handbook to no avail (i.e. 'going round the clock') and now the am & pm indicators are flashing alternately.
Unfortunately, I am an electrical idiot & anything more complicated than a fuse or bulb may well confound me!
Many thanks for your anticipated help, Rodger. :?

User avatar
robv12

Member
Posts:2080
Joined:Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:11 am
Location:scottish borders

Postby robv12 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:35 pm

I'm guessing you have a Daimler XJ40??

Set the hours first by pressing the button once to move the hour on by one each time

repeat for the minutes, the clock shoud then be set

hope this helps

Rob

CLASSICR
Posts:12
Joined:Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:43 pm

clock

Postby CLASSICR » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:55 pm

Thanks for your reply Rob. You are quite right-XJ40.
I have previously tried this to no avail. The books tell me to 'go around the clock' which also failed. I am getting used to ignoring the thing altogether, although it would be nice for it to work properly!
Rodger.

User avatar
robv12

Member
Posts:2080
Joined:Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:11 am
Location:scottish borders

Postby robv12 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:34 pm

Rodger

In that case I have to say I'm stumped, maybe pop another unit in

What year is the car, i will have one here

CLASSICR
Posts:12
Joined:Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:43 pm

clock

Postby CLASSICR » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:51 am

Thanks Rob,
I have discovered there is another 'glitch' - in that something may be draining the (new) battery as I have, on one or two occasions, had to put it on a small charge in order for the car to start over the past few days. It occurs to me that this may be affecting the clock. In order to trace the 'fault' I am going to take the car to a (trusted) auto-electrician tomorrow.
I did on one occasion manage to get the clock working as it should, but that did not last long!
I will let you know what transpires.
Rodger. (1994 Daimler Six (XJ40), photos on XJ Gallery under Classic R).

DEREK1951
Posts:47
Joined:Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:12 pm
Location:kent

Daimler photo's

Postby DEREK1951 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:40 am

Where is the photo of your Daimler ? there's only two in the gallery and they are both mine , c'mon we need more pictures in this gallery !

Derek..
'93 Daimler, 50,000mls solent blue
'93 Daimler 154,000mls Westminster blue
'85 Rover sd1 2600 vanden plas oporto red

CLASSICR
Posts:12
Joined:Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:43 pm

Postby CLASSICR » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:18 pm

Hello Derek,
I find it strange that you can view only 2 images whereas I see 16!
When I log on to the XJ Bulletin Board I click on the yellow highlighted 'XJ Gallery & Register', at the bottom of the next page I click on 'XJ Gallery' and then 'View All Gallery Entires' which brings up the first of two pages of XJ photos. Even more strange - I don't see yours!!
Regards,
Rodger.

User avatar
robv12

Member
Posts:2080
Joined:Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:11 am
Location:scottish borders

Postby robv12 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:12 pm

Rodger

It would appear that you have the classic late 40 battery in boot battery drain

I've come across this many times now, and even one of my cars was afflicted with it, even with a huge battery the best i could get was about 10 days before it went flat, fine if you are using the car alot, but a pig if you left it to go away , or, like the current Mrs Jenner, only went to the shops and back. i spent an age trying to trace it without sucess, Jaguar had the same problem as there were huge warranty claims on this problem when the cars were new

Only recently has someone come up with and answer which makes sense to me

This is how I found out about it, I bought a 40 radio without a code, Jaguar could not supply the code, so I sent it away, it turned out it was a recon unit and had had it's code changed at recon. The guy who did it for me explained that literally thousands of these radios were changed under warranty and recoded, reason being that the 'code' battery was incorrectly installed at manufacture and caused the cars battery to drain, BINGO, best answer I've heard, it only affects battery in boot cars with the DBD 11304 radio unit

So worth putting a known to be good radio in as a swap and see what happens

CLASSICR
Posts:12
Joined:Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:43 pm

Postby CLASSICR » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:41 am

Thanks Rob,
This sounds sensible. I could never understand why the battery should be in the boot in the first place, although the engine bay is rather full, I am sure they could have squeezed it in somehow!!
The auto electrician did find a 0.5 volt drain when I left the car overnight which, he said was enough to cause problems if the car is only used occasionally. The actual source could not be traced in the time I gave him. As it is my 'daily drive', I am hoping the problem abates until I can follow your advice and get a replacement radio (I am not sure if it is one those you mention, but the unit looks original). If this solves the clock problem, I shall be home and dry!
Rodger. :D

DEREK1951
Posts:47
Joined:Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:12 pm
Location:kent

Postby DEREK1951 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:54 pm

Sorry slight mistake there , i've spotted another maybe it's your's as it's in south Yorkshire L423 RBT .
I've been looking in the entries with photo's of which there is only 13 , mine is no 5 from the top and there's two , one exterior, one interior , looking at the whole register there are 36 entries mine is no 6 from the top have another look , it's definitely there :)

Derek..
'93 Daimler, 50,000mls solent blue
'93 Daimler 154,000mls Westminster blue
'85 Rover sd1 2600 vanden plas oporto red

CLASSICR
Posts:12
Joined:Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:43 pm

Postby CLASSICR » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:45 am

I now see your car Derek - instead of clicking on 'View the entire gallery' I clicked on 'XJ Gallery' where there are 6 photos of mine on the 2nd page and you are quite right, it is L423 RBT.
Much prefer your wheels to my 'Aero' ones! :oops:
Rodger.

DEREK1951
Posts:47
Joined:Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:12 pm
Location:kent

Postby DEREK1951 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:15 pm

Roger , i think i've got it , my photo's are in the register gallery not in the general gallery , having had a look at what you were looking at i now see photo's i've never seen before :shock:

Now i've found that section i will add some more photo's when i've got a few minutes to spare

Your Daimler , is probably slightly later than mine as it has the revised cam cover , maybe a '94 my i think , i believe there was two types of wheels around that time , mine are of course 'roulettes' with a metal hubcap held on with an allen screw.
My other Daimler has roulettes on too but they're nowhere near as clean as this car has done a lot more miles and i have a nice set of 20 spoke wheels that are going on when the summer comes and i've put some new tyres on a couple of them.
The only trouble with the roulettes is the lack of choice when it comes to tyres as they are 15 inch , but i wouldn't change the ones on the other car as they are mint and original.

Still think we could do with some more photo's on the register though , still early days yet i suppose :)

Derek..
'93 Daimler, 50,000mls solent blue
'93 Daimler 154,000mls Westminster blue
'85 Rover sd1 2600 vanden plas oporto red

User avatar
robv12

Member
Posts:2080
Joined:Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:11 am
Location:scottish borders

Postby robv12 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:50 pm

Thanks Rob,
This sounds sensible. I could never understand why the battery should be in the boot in the first place, although the engine bay is rather full, I am sure they could have squeezed it in somehow!!
The auto electrician did find a 0.5 volt drain when I left the car overnight which, he said was enough to cause problems if the car is only used occasionally. The actual source could not be traced in the time I gave him. As it is my 'daily drive', I am hoping the problem abates until I can follow your advice and get a replacement radio (I am not sure if it is one those you mention, but the unit looks original). If this solves the clock problem, I shall be home and dry!
Rodger. :D


The battery was moved into the boot at the launch of the V12 XJ40, there was no room under the bonnet for the battery with the mighty V12 squeezed in there!!, as all cars shared the same shell, the battery went in the boot on the 6 cylinder cars too
<br /><span class=mtag>[qd

Jagcatdog

Member
Posts:1
Joined:Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:06 pm

Failing Battery in Boot

Postby Jagcatdog » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:43 pm

I used to have problems with the battery and electrics of my 1995 X300 3.2 until one day on my FIFTH! replacement failed battery (each under warranty) I called the AA in again. Their engineer checked for voltage drops throughout the car an found a massive drop on either side of that bulkhead electric connection where the major battery lead to the charging system at the front goes through the bulkhead (probably has a technical name - help!) He cleaned he contacts and suddenly - Hey presto, everything bright and beautiful - 14 to 15 volts charge and no problems last 6 months (except the 2 failed lambda sensors - cost more than the car is worth to fix!)

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Postby ptjs1 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:57 pm

Slightly off tangent, I know, but there is a huge disparity in prices for lambda sensors so it's worth looking around.

Jaguar used 4-wire titanium NTK sensors in the AJ16 engines. Price from Jaguar about £240 + vat. Exactly the same branded NTK sensor is available on the after-market at about £70. 5 minutes searching on the internet saves an awful lot of money.

Paul


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests