Daimler V8 diff
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
My Daimler V8 auto is a lovely car, but undergeared by modern standards with a 4.55/1 diff, giving only 17.3mph/1000rpm. Changing the final drive to 3.77/1 would give a much more relaxed 20.9mph/1000rpm. Does anyone know if it's been done, and if the outcome was successful, especially with regard to acceleration and change-up/down speeds? And is a 3.77 crownwheel and pinion a straight swap for a 4.55 (apart from setting-up), or is it a more complicated job? Many thanks.
Re: Daimler V8 diff
Twyford Moors XK restorers down here in Hampshire, have a liking for 3.77:1 diffs for their cars. That is what they recommend for general use as a road car.
As regards a crown wheel and pinion change I`ll defer to others more experienced in these technical aspects. No doubt someone be along shortly and be able to comment with authority on this aspect.
Have to say I used to love my old 2 litre Vitesse with overdrive. I seem to remember 30mph/1000rpm which gave economy and long legs to the car.
Mike
As regards a crown wheel and pinion change I`ll defer to others more experienced in these technical aspects. No doubt someone be along shortly and be able to comment with authority on this aspect.
Have to say I used to love my old 2 litre Vitesse with overdrive. I seem to remember 30mph/1000rpm which gave economy and long legs to the car.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
-
ecosselynx
- Posts:265
- Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:08 am
- Location:Magnou, France
Re: Daimler V8 diff
Hi
Many years ago I changes over my 3.4 Mk2 diff to a 3.31:1 ratio, the crown and pinion I stripped out of an XJ diff. Which is a complete strip and re-build of the diff using a special bearing on one of the pinion bearings, can't remember which one off the top of my head, but can look it up.
What your looking to do is simpler, as the ratio's your looking for are already used in the Mk2. The 3.77:1 was used in M/overdrive modles and the 3.54:1 used in the auto and none overdrive models. All your looking for is a complete axel out of one of the Mk2 models and swop it over for your own axel.
Many years ago I changes over my 3.4 Mk2 diff to a 3.31:1 ratio, the crown and pinion I stripped out of an XJ diff. Which is a complete strip and re-build of the diff using a special bearing on one of the pinion bearings, can't remember which one off the top of my head, but can look it up.
What your looking to do is simpler, as the ratio's your looking for are already used in the Mk2. The 3.77:1 was used in M/overdrive modles and the 3.54:1 used in the auto and none overdrive models. All your looking for is a complete axel out of one of the Mk2 models and swop it over for your own axel.
bye-o
John H.
John H.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

