Fitting a 4.2 into a Mk2
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:14 pm
I've picked up a rebuilt 4.2 engine from a Series 3 XJ6 with a view to fitting it to my Mk2 in place of the original 3.8 unit which needs a full rebuild.
This only cost me £150 which is a small fraction of the cost of a full rebuild.
However, I am sure there will be a number of problems to overcome in fitting this to the mk2 shell.
In particular I want to use the original smooth rocker covers, and there may be problems in fitting the rev-counter generator to this engine.
Can anyone offer advice on the best way to do this?
I'd also like to use an alternator, later power steering pump, oil filter etc if at all possible but the XJ6 engine bay is a lot wider so I'll have to make a lot of mods here too I expect.
I have been told the Mk2 engine mounts will fit the later engine, and that any XK bellhousing will fit any XK engine - can anyone confirm this?
My 4.2 engine is auto, but the mk2 is manual.
This only cost me £150 which is a small fraction of the cost of a full rebuild.
However, I am sure there will be a number of problems to overcome in fitting this to the mk2 shell.
In particular I want to use the original smooth rocker covers, and there may be problems in fitting the rev-counter generator to this engine.
Can anyone offer advice on the best way to do this?
I'd also like to use an alternator, later power steering pump, oil filter etc if at all possible but the XJ6 engine bay is a lot wider so I'll have to make a lot of mods here too I expect.
I have been told the Mk2 engine mounts will fit the later engine, and that any XK bellhousing will fit any XK engine - can anyone confirm this?
My 4.2 engine is auto, but the mk2 is manual.