123 distributor with Bluetooth adjustment

Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx

User avatar
JMD

Member
Posts:19
Joined:Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:26 pm
123 distributor with Bluetooth adjustment

Postby JMD » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:02 pm

Hi Folks
1962 mk2 XK 3.4
I have been having issues with the current electronic conversion and after watching a few videos of the new 123 type distributors I decided to take the plunge and buy one.

The original 123 distributors seem to have had a pre-set map for the RPM advance range, I think the idea was you selected via a port in the side of the distributor. However the newer 123 distributors now have this function utilising Bluetooth from your phone etc..

Although the installation looks simple enough the second part where you have to input the Map/ advance range at various RPM means that after buying one its still in its box lol

Has anyone fitted one of these into their cars?
can someone help work out the map/range thing for the XK 3.4

thanks
james

User avatar
piman
Posts:1183
Joined:Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:32 pm
Location:Oswestry

Re: 123 distributor with Bluetooth adjustment

Postby piman » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:54 am

Hello James,

I believe Ken Jenkins advertises he can set up 123 distributors? I was less than impressed with the old switched 123 with only 16 (?) curves as that is not likely to be suitable.
The workshop manual should give the specifications for your engine. Dpes it have a vacuum advance and are there options for them?

Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome

User avatar
JMD

Member
Posts:19
Joined:Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:26 pm

Re: 123 distributor with Bluetooth adjustment

Postby JMD » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:48 pm

Hi Alec
Thank you for the reply.
Is Ken a member? not quite sure who that is..

The 123 I bought does seem to have the vacuum facility. take a look at the following URL it is the one I have
https://www.123ignitionshop.com/gb/tune ... tooth.html

james

User avatar
piman
Posts:1183
Joined:Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:32 pm
Location:Oswestry

Re: 123 distributor with Bluetooth adjustment

Postby piman » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:55 am

Hello James.

it does say the vacuum advance is programmable. Again the specification should be in the manual. Although Lucas vacuum modules look identical (different vacuum line attachments for the early ones) there is a huge range of them with different specifications which is stamped on the body. (Minimum (start) vacuum, maximum vacuum,maximum advance)
Ken Jenkins is an adviser to the club and writes articles on maintenance from time to time in the magazine.

Alec
Last edited by piman on Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome

User avatar
JMD

Member
Posts:19
Joined:Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:26 pm

Re: 123 distributor with Bluetooth adjustment

Postby JMD » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:11 pm

Thanks Alec,
The 123 web site does have a Curve tutorial which I am trying to learn, https://123ignition.com/support/create-curve-tutorial/

The only manual I have is a Haynes manual. There does not seem to be anything in it regarding the advance or vacuum curves, are you referring to a specific workshop manual?
I would be interested in obtaining one of these if this is the case..

james

User avatar
piman
Posts:1183
Joined:Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:32 pm
Location:Oswestry

Re: 123 distributor with Bluetooth adjustment

Postby piman » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:48 am

Hello James,

I have a genuine Jaguar workshop manual (e Bay) which does give some specifications.
What is your engine number, I also have a small reference book with Lucas distributor settings.

Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome

User avatar
JMD

Member
Posts:19
Joined:Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:26 pm

Re: 123 distributor with Bluetooth adjustment

Postby JMD » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:56 pm

Hi Alec
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you with the engine number..
I have the Log book and the Engine number on it is KJ6433-8

See what you can do with that .
Hopefully be able to help with some sort of Advance/Vacuum curve..

James

User avatar
piman
Posts:1183
Joined:Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:32 pm
Location:Oswestry

Re: 123 distributor with Bluetooth adjustment

Postby piman » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:11 am

Hello James,

from the parts manual the correct distributor for that engine number is a 40885/A 22D6,

maximum advance 19 degrees, 1300 rpm 10 - 12degrees , 500rpm 1 - 3, no advance below 250 rpm, these are mechanical advance figures and translate time 2 as the distributer rotates at half engine speed. I'm a little surprised that the maximum advance is 19, i.e. 38 degrees which seems a lot of advance, when you add the static as well (8 degrees?).
My little reference book doesn't give the vacuum figures for this distributor but it's part number is 54412145. I checked with Google and came up with 8 - 18 - 7.

From your early post you say your car is a 1962, yet that distributor is for a later series, and I wonder if your engine is a replacement.
My 1962 car has the earlier DMBZ distributor which is what I expected for yours? You could check your Lucas distributor and see what numbers are stamped on the body. The DMBZ distributor has a screw on vacuum pipe but the 22D6 is a push on.

I'll look in my workshop manual later and see what is there.

Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome

User avatar
piman
Posts:1183
Joined:Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:32 pm
Location:Oswestry

Re: 123 distributor with Bluetooth adjustment

Postby piman » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:22 am

Hello James,

it looks as if my workshop manual is too early for your engine as it does not have data for a 22D6 distributor.
However the DMBZ6A for a 3.4 8:1 engine with a paper air filter is very similar in specification.:-

3,000 rpm 17 - 19 degrees, 2,300 rpm 14 - 16 degrees, 1,300 rpm 10 - 12 degrees, 1,000 rpm 8 - 10 degrees, 500 rpm 1 - 3 degrees.
vacuum 6 - 25 - 6 to 8 degrees advance. (don't double this for engine speed, it is engine advance degrees) with a static timing of 7 degreees BTDC.

Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome

User avatar
JMD

Member
Posts:19
Joined:Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:26 pm

Re: 123 distributor with Bluetooth adjustment

Postby JMD » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:30 pm

Hi Alec
Thank you for taking the time to look this up for me. You are a star..

I do have one other question though..

In the instructions for fitting the 123 distributor it says to setup static timing on No1 cylinder, but I have been reading a wee bit on the XK 3.4 engine and apparently the static timing is setup on No6 cylinder..

Bit of a conundrum ...

James

User avatar
piman
Posts:1183
Joined:Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:32 pm
Location:Oswestry

Re: 123 distributor with Bluetooth adjustment

Postby piman » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:17 am

Hello James,

probably because Jaguar's number one cylinder (then) is the flywheel end cylinder, which few people are aware of, no 1 at the front is a convention.
The timing is done on the damper end cylinder (no 6) although it doesn't actually matter as long as it is done correctly.

Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests