Happy man 420G

Moderator:cstorey

larryd
Posts:29
Joined:Tue May 05, 2009 2:10 pm
Happy man 420G

Postby larryd » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Well I have done it after all these years of driveing recent Jags I bought an 420g.4.2
It has done 8 yes 8 miles since 1997. its in great condition no real problems and after greaseing everything in sight and change oil eveywhere at least twice.
Its running and boy am I enjoying it Now the questions start do i keep it as orginal as I can or shall I start restoring it bit by bit? total milage 97000
Give me some thoughts please .
How many of these are left I wonder anybody any idea?
I took it to a local show and the JEC northern region guys where happy to see one in the north :D

Any hints or comments would be most welcome.

Larry D

Car-Nut
Posts:172
Joined:Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:34 pm
Location:Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Happy man 420G

Postby Car-Nut » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:11 pm

Well I have done it after all these years of driveing recent Jags I bought an 420g.4.2
It has done 8 yes 8 miles since 1997. its in great condition no real problems and after greaseing everything in sight and change oil eveywhere at least twice.
Its running and boy am I enjoying it Now the questions start do i keep it as orginal as I can or shall I start restoring it bit by bit? total milage 97000
Give me some thoughts please .
How many of these are left I wonder anybody any idea?
I took it to a local show and the JEC northern region guys where happy to see one in the north :D

Any hints or comments would be most welcome.

Larry D
Congratulations on your Gargantuan Jaguar purchase :!: :!:

They are such a lovely ride although I only did 600 miles before it came off the road for its restore...

I look forward to seeing some pics Larry if you need assistance posting pics please PM me.


How many left :?: Check this out http://howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=Jaguar+420G

I'm also in the North so look forward to meeting up next year....

Heres a few pics of mine still WiP

Engine bay:

Image

One of the doors Ive re-trimmed, wood re polished & & ....

Image

Image


We are here to help so post away :)
Clive
(Car- Nut)
MK7, 8 & 9 Forum Co-ordinator
&
MK10 420G Forum Co-ordinator

:arrow: 1970 - 420G - WiP
:arrow: 1962 - E-Type FHC
:arrow: 1997 - X330 4.0


larryd
Posts:29
Joined:Tue May 05, 2009 2:10 pm

Re: Happy man 420G

Postby larryd » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Many thanks for the mail and the pics car nut
It seems that I have some way to go to catch up with yourself looking at these.
End of the month she is booked in for bodge/ corrsion check and wax oil etc.
The guy has allready checked the car out and with luck I do no expect no fatal problems.
My thoughts where this is the first thing to do after all the lube jobs.I tring a three year plan
How did you get the wood like that??
Larry

Car-Nut
Posts:172
Joined:Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:34 pm
Location:Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Happy man 420G

Postby Car-Nut » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:16 pm

I have a man who does my wood.

I also buy sets of wood get them refurbed and then sell them for a lot less than some charge for refurb.

If you need assistance with any refurb tradesman please contact me.

Please posts some pics of your project for other members to see
Clive
(Car- Nut)
MK7, 8 & 9 Forum Co-ordinator
&
MK10 420G Forum Co-ordinator

:arrow: 1970 - 420G - WiP
:arrow: 1962 - E-Type FHC
:arrow: 1997 - X330 4.0


larryd
Posts:29
Joined:Tue May 05, 2009 2:10 pm

Re: Happy man 420G

Postby larryd » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:16 pm

250 miles over the weekend up to the lake district to see my grandchild.
Sweet as nut no problems.
I had the headlights sorted out they where pointing at the sky fine now.
One comment the garage reported that it was a 5 min job as they where all free and easy to adjust said i was a lucky man?.

All plans on track going in soon for full corrision check and wax oil I will have the outer sill taken off and the bars checked.

Pictures as soon as I can loveing it. :D
Larry

Car-Nut
Posts:172
Joined:Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:34 pm
Location:Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Happy man 420G

Postby Car-Nut » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:50 pm

Larry,

If you went up to the Lake District you must of gone up the M6 :?:

If so one of the exit is about 15 miles from my house you are welcome to call in for a coffee on the way next time :wink:

I look forward to seeing some pictures :D

Reggie still WiP


Image
Clive
(Car- Nut)
MK7, 8 & 9 Forum Co-ordinator
&
MK10 420G Forum Co-ordinator

:arrow: 1970 - 420G - WiP
:arrow: 1962 - E-Type FHC
:arrow: 1997 - X330 4.0


larryd
Posts:29
Joined:Tue May 05, 2009 2:10 pm

Re: Happy man 420G

Postby larryd » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:18 pm

Came from Morpeth Northumberland.

Across county via A69 to Carlise and down M6 to turn off to reach lakes.
Thanks for the invite I will take you up on it once the old lady has had her nappy changed and waxoiled.
Some way to go to match your car but i will get there.
By the way I think these two are twins red look alikes. :)

Larry

Car-Nut
Posts:172
Joined:Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:34 pm
Location:Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Happy man 420G

Postby Car-Nut » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:49 pm

Came from Morpeth Northumberland.

Across county via A69 to Carlise and down M6 to turn off to reach lakes.
Thanks for the invite I will take you up on it once the old lady has had her nappy changed and waxoiled.
Some way to go to match your car but i will get there.
By the way I think these two are twins red look alikes. :)

Larry
Larry, yours is running, mine isnt yet but hopefully this week-end or next :mrgreen:
Clive
(Car- Nut)
MK7, 8 & 9 Forum Co-ordinator
&
MK10 420G Forum Co-ordinator

:arrow: 1970 - 420G - WiP
:arrow: 1962 - E-Type FHC
:arrow: 1997 - X330 4.0


Car-Nut
Posts:172
Joined:Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:34 pm
Location:Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Happy man 420G

Postby Car-Nut » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:36 pm

Any updates Larry :?:
Clive
(Car- Nut)
MK7, 8 & 9 Forum Co-ordinator
&
MK10 420G Forum Co-ordinator

:arrow: 1970 - 420G - WiP
:arrow: 1962 - E-Type FHC
:arrow: 1997 - X330 4.0


larryd
Posts:29
Joined:Tue May 05, 2009 2:10 pm

Re: Happy man 420G

Postby larryd » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:25 pm

Well I have tried and tried to get the phots on and all I get is the board attachment quota is full.
Yes I have reduced to a minimum?? Any ideas??

Auto ignition is back loose wire in the dis" we will get it on with the new silcon leads and see what happens.

You would not belive the amount of crude and sand that i got out of the cabs when they were stipped out . Also in the carbs internals as well as the filters which where full of sand.
She is running a lot better but still slightley rough on tickover at 500
revs.
No more cutting out when standing in gear.

Just goes to show do the basics first even if you are like me in some kind of a panic when I realised i would have to take them off and put them back.

Just cleaning the filters is worth while.

Will update next week if possibble any help on the picks would be helpfull.

Larry D :shock:

Car-Nut
Posts:172
Joined:Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:34 pm
Location:Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Happy man 420G

Postby Car-Nut » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:09 pm

Well I have tried and tried to get the phots on and all I get is the board attachment quota is full.
Yes I have reduced to a minimum?? Any ideas??
I have escalated and will feed back, when I know more…..

Tes
t :!:

Image

Larry, from photobucket or your image hosting site copy the link after img code - not teaching you how to suck eggs :D
Auto ignition is back loose wire in the dis" we will get it on with the new silcon leads and see what happens.

You would not belive the amount of crude and sand that i got out of the cabs when they were stipped out . Also in the carbs internals as well as the filters which where full of sand.
She is running a lot better but still slightley rough on tickover at 500
revs.
No more cutting out when standing in gear.

Just goes to show do the basics first even if you are like me in some kind of a panic when I realised i would have to take them off and put them back.

Just cleaning the filters is worth while.

Will update next week if possibble any help on the picks would be helpfull.

Larry D :shock:
Clive
(Car- Nut)
MK7, 8 & 9 Forum Co-ordinator
&
MK10 420G Forum Co-ordinator

:arrow: 1970 - 420G - WiP
:arrow: 1962 - E-Type FHC
:arrow: 1997 - X330 4.0


larryd
Posts:29
Joined:Tue May 05, 2009 2:10 pm

Re: Happy man 420G

Postby larryd » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:52 pm

Its ok please tell me how.
Keep getting this message Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

Car-Nut
Posts:172
Joined:Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:34 pm
Location:Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Happy man 420G

Postby Car-Nut » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:09 am

Hi Larry,

It was good to talk the other evening….. :wink:

Here are your images you sent through


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

If you have a spare evening in the week email me some history on the car and I will forward it on to Nigel
to go in the magazine

I hope you will be attending the JEC show so i can put a face to the name and see the actual car
:!:
Clive
(Car- Nut)
MK7, 8 & 9 Forum Co-ordinator
&
MK10 420G Forum Co-ordinator

:arrow: 1970 - 420G - WiP
:arrow: 1962 - E-Type FHC
:arrow: 1997 - X330 4.0


larryd
Posts:29
Joined:Tue May 05, 2009 2:10 pm

Re: Happy man 420G

Postby larryd » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:05 pm

A small update .
The car is now with the rust wizard but he does more than that.
To date.
Carbs now balanced correctley starts at first button and the auto choke works.
( have removed the awfull electronic switch on the dash that the last owner used to start the car)
Electronic ignition and silicone leads are working well no problems.
Gearbox bands adjusted and we now have a kick down after adjusting the linkage. Managed to do this all without removeing the front seat which you have to do if you belive the manual
Need new gearbox mounts to get rid of the remaing slight bump when selecting reverse its a lot less of a problem now
Corrision.
Good news the rear of the wheel arch back to the bumper on both sides had been bodged with pop rivets and filller this is now out and metal inserted welded and primed ready for paint. ( NB fuel tanks removed to do this)
The same has to be done on the front. However this is cosmetic the main frame is in excellent condition
Sills well we shall see it does not look to much of a problem at the moment will check them out to see if the bodge guy has been in them to?
The floor , boot etc is first class so thats good news.
Pictures have been taken as he goes so once I have them all I will send them in.
Its takeing a while however its much less expensive this way as he fits in the welding etc around his waxoil clients. Fingers crossed for next week or two.

Larry :D

Car-Nut
Posts:172
Joined:Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:34 pm
Location:Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Happy man 420G

Postby Car-Nut » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:16 pm

Larry,

Sounds like things have been really busy with the 420G.....

Keep us posted with progress.

If you cant upload the pictures send them to my email and i will upload them on here.

Perhaps when you email me them you could send a few paragraphs on whats been happening and I can get
it to Nigel..

Hope to put a face to the the name at Weston :idea:

All the best
:wink:
Clive
(Car- Nut)
MK7, 8 & 9 Forum Co-ordinator
&
MK10 420G Forum Co-ordinator

:arrow: 1970 - 420G - WiP
:arrow: 1962 - E-Type FHC
:arrow: 1997 - X330 4.0



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest