Modern traffic jams and kenlowe fans
Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:25 am
Hi all
I experienced my first high(re) temperature episode on the m1 on Thursday bowling along nicely then traffic in temps of 30 degrees worst still creeping uphill with auto gear box, I didn't boil but gauge was going up and power was down as engine was starting to sound like it might stall. I pulled over in services bonnet up very hot, temp gauge C 85. I suspect the running probs and lack of power may have been fuel vaporisation as the prev ow ever had fitted a modern metal fuel filter with a secondary plastic one which sits quite close to the alloy thermostat housing,
After 10 minutes cooling it all started ok and ran ok turned off to go to chesterfield and straight into another 4 miles of traffic, I pulled over a few times just to be on safe side, a bloke came past me rolling his lighter classic alfa for the same reasons.
Car ran ok after that but this weekend definitely doesn't like hotter weather, same symptoms when idling after a run (heat soak) but when checked with digital infra red thermometer the temperature is below 90 so I guess this could be normal, the placement of the fuel filters could be the culprit for fuel vaporisation?
as a prelude to this I have read and digested the previous forum advice from Martel ecosystem lynx and other learned brothers
Anyway my question is kenlowe fans . given that motorway traffic jams did not exist in the sixties and that they had the good sense to provide hard shoulders for stricken vehicles I would like to have an electric fan to assist in traffic. Problem is I have dynamo with attached power steering pump and a kenlowe fan draws 20 amps, have any of you guys run a kenlowe with a dynamo, kenlowe fans have been around for ages and I can't believe that every time one was fitted back in the day an alternator swop was done.
I understand that at idle very little current is produced and that there would be a risk of discharging the battery in a prolonged jam
I think my cooling system is ok as when I got the car 2 years ago I had an issue with a leaking core plug and a blocked heater matrix, I had a good rake around in the bottom of the block with a long handled wire brush and flushed out a load of sediment in both directions via the core plug hole and the bottom block and back flushed radiator which was not the original removed the heater matrix and cleaned and flushed. It all worked fine after that no cold spots in rad and heater matrix did not fur up again. The heater blew vey hot in my traffic jam situation so it has not become blocked again so hopefully my attention to antifreeze and some anti corrosion water wetter stuff I got from rob beere has worked to prevent recirculating crap
Thoughts on the kenlowe with a dynamo would be most welcome, I guess I could also just get a cheap 16 inch fan off ebay and just wire it with a fuse relay and switch for these situations. The alternative is just to avoid the motorways in this hot weather might work just as well as sitting in traffic for an hour is not the best use of the summer, deck chair and beer prob better use of time
All the best
Richard
I was also thinking of taking my car up to ken Jenkins in worksop to check my recent axle/brake work I understand he doesn't rate kenlowe fans
Richard
I experienced my first high(re) temperature episode on the m1 on Thursday bowling along nicely then traffic in temps of 30 degrees worst still creeping uphill with auto gear box, I didn't boil but gauge was going up and power was down as engine was starting to sound like it might stall. I pulled over in services bonnet up very hot, temp gauge C 85. I suspect the running probs and lack of power may have been fuel vaporisation as the prev ow ever had fitted a modern metal fuel filter with a secondary plastic one which sits quite close to the alloy thermostat housing,
After 10 minutes cooling it all started ok and ran ok turned off to go to chesterfield and straight into another 4 miles of traffic, I pulled over a few times just to be on safe side, a bloke came past me rolling his lighter classic alfa for the same reasons.
Car ran ok after that but this weekend definitely doesn't like hotter weather, same symptoms when idling after a run (heat soak) but when checked with digital infra red thermometer the temperature is below 90 so I guess this could be normal, the placement of the fuel filters could be the culprit for fuel vaporisation?
as a prelude to this I have read and digested the previous forum advice from Martel ecosystem lynx and other learned brothers
Anyway my question is kenlowe fans . given that motorway traffic jams did not exist in the sixties and that they had the good sense to provide hard shoulders for stricken vehicles I would like to have an electric fan to assist in traffic. Problem is I have dynamo with attached power steering pump and a kenlowe fan draws 20 amps, have any of you guys run a kenlowe with a dynamo, kenlowe fans have been around for ages and I can't believe that every time one was fitted back in the day an alternator swop was done.
I understand that at idle very little current is produced and that there would be a risk of discharging the battery in a prolonged jam
I think my cooling system is ok as when I got the car 2 years ago I had an issue with a leaking core plug and a blocked heater matrix, I had a good rake around in the bottom of the block with a long handled wire brush and flushed out a load of sediment in both directions via the core plug hole and the bottom block and back flushed radiator which was not the original removed the heater matrix and cleaned and flushed. It all worked fine after that no cold spots in rad and heater matrix did not fur up again. The heater blew vey hot in my traffic jam situation so it has not become blocked again so hopefully my attention to antifreeze and some anti corrosion water wetter stuff I got from rob beere has worked to prevent recirculating crap
Thoughts on the kenlowe with a dynamo would be most welcome, I guess I could also just get a cheap 16 inch fan off ebay and just wire it with a fuse relay and switch for these situations. The alternative is just to avoid the motorways in this hot weather might work just as well as sitting in traffic for an hour is not the best use of the summer, deck chair and beer prob better use of time
All the best
Richard
I was also thinking of taking my car up to ken Jenkins in worksop to check my recent axle/brake work I understand he doesn't rate kenlowe fans
Richard