Squeeky.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP-XxL90gEg
Oh dear...
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
After taking my squeeky hub apart I find a completely dry bearing - not the slightest whiff of grease!
See here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47192463@N ... 462142046/
To make my description easier I've extracted the exploded diagram from the parts book:
http://www.sweller.dynalias.org/docs/ja ... ension.pdf
My problem is the hub (part 29) is slightly damaged so setting the endfloat is a bit tricky. The largest available shim (part 35) is 0.151" (3.84mm) which gives an end float of 12 thou - I need a 0.160" (4.05mm) shim to get an endfloat of 4 thou (range is 2 to 6 thou).
Is the hub off an XJ6 the same as the S type? Does anyone have one to sell (either the S type or XJ6 if it fits)
What are the short and long term effects of running with an endfloat of 12 thou?
Thanks,
Simon
See here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47192463@N ... 462142046/
To make my description easier I've extracted the exploded diagram from the parts book:
http://www.sweller.dynalias.org/docs/ja ... ension.pdf
My problem is the hub (part 29) is slightly damaged so setting the endfloat is a bit tricky. The largest available shim (part 35) is 0.151" (3.84mm) which gives an end float of 12 thou - I need a 0.160" (4.05mm) shim to get an endfloat of 4 thou (range is 2 to 6 thou).
Is the hub off an XJ6 the same as the S type? Does anyone have one to sell (either the S type or XJ6 if it fits)
What are the short and long term effects of running with an endfloat of 12 thou?
Thanks,
Simon
-
ecosselynx
- Posts:265
- Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:08 am
- Location:Magnou, France
Hi Simon
Have you thought of using a couple of shims that will give you the required .160", or even three!
Again can't help with the hub, but running with high end-float, will tend to push the brake pads back and the pistons, this means when stopping you will be pumping the brake pedal to seat the pads, less than ideal and in an emergency!!!!!!
regards
John H.
Have you thought of using a couple of shims that will give you the required .160", or even three!
Again can't help with the hub, but running with high end-float, will tend to push the brake pads back and the pistons, this means when stopping you will be pumping the brake pedal to seat the pads, less than ideal and in an emergency!!!!!!
regards
John H.
From memory the shims need to be hardened with an ID 33.5mm and OD 41mm (all my micrometers/verniers are metric).
The problem with doubling up is even the two smallest will be too thick.
I really need to source a new hub - but I need to use the car in the interim (it's my only one).
I'm pretty sure I can get one at Stonleigh Park on the 28th.
Simon
The problem with doubling up is even the two smallest will be too thick.
I really need to source a new hub - but I need to use the car in the interim (it's my only one).
I'm pretty sure I can get one at Stonleigh Park on the 28th.
Simon
Thanks - I was sure that knock off wouldn't be a problem but was wondering how lifespan shortening it would be for the bearing.
A moot point now as I picked up a whole hub/bearing assembly for £25 - who'd have thought the local breakers would have parts for a 45 year old car on the shelf. I only called in to see if early XJ6 hubs were interchangeable and did they have any.
However, I've not fitted it yet...
Simon
A moot point now as I picked up a whole hub/bearing assembly for £25 - who'd have thought the local breakers would have parts for a 45 year old car on the shelf. I only called in to see if early XJ6 hubs were interchangeable and did they have any.
However, I've not fitted it yet...
Simon
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
