I have purchased a Burman power steering system for my 1963 3.4 Auto MRK2,had the PAS box overhauled,Pump tested and the dynamo overhauled new bushes and bearings.
I would like some help with general items on the system, 1- size of bolts/nuts/set screws etc on the various parts of the track rods, 2- lower steering column, the long body coupling that houses the nylon rollers will not come off the the forged knuckle ball part of the shaft which has the universal joint at the other end, I therefore cannot see how I can fit the rubber gaiter as the part which fits to the shaft is too small to go over the large diameter of the coupling.3-any diagrams and any other info' would be appreciated i.e fitting the units to sub-frame,are the steering stop holes tapped for set screws and lock nuts or do they also hold the idler & PAS box to the sub-frame,
Billjag34 email nigelwholt@mypostoffice.co.uk
Burman Power Steering System
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Re: Burman Power Steering System
Hi Nigel
The lower column with the rollers is confusing. What you have to do is remove the allen screws that hold the cover plate on, then push the column shaft with the rollers out of the body (needs a bit of a shove). When the rollers are free of the body, remove the c-clips that hold them in place, then remove the rollers. The short cross-shaft that holds the rollers can then be pressed out of the column shaft (I did this in my bench vice). The column shaft can then be withdrawn from the body and the gaiter placed over the column shaft. Reverse the process to rebuild the unit, greasing the roller housing in the process, but be careful when you locate the rollers back in the body as it is easy to damage them on the edge of the housing.
I can't comment on the locating holes in your subframe, or the mounting hardware, as I used a 420 subframe and the Adwest PAS unit.
Best wishes, David
The lower column with the rollers is confusing. What you have to do is remove the allen screws that hold the cover plate on, then push the column shaft with the rollers out of the body (needs a bit of a shove). When the rollers are free of the body, remove the c-clips that hold them in place, then remove the rollers. The short cross-shaft that holds the rollers can then be pressed out of the column shaft (I did this in my bench vice). The column shaft can then be withdrawn from the body and the gaiter placed over the column shaft. Reverse the process to rebuild the unit, greasing the roller housing in the process, but be careful when you locate the rollers back in the body as it is easy to damage them on the edge of the housing.
I can't comment on the locating holes in your subframe, or the mounting hardware, as I used a 420 subframe and the Adwest PAS unit.
Best wishes, David
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest