Page 1 of 1

420 high pressure hose C27026

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:49 pm
by BookerME
Has anyone got any ideas on where I can source a replacement 420 high pressure PAS hose, the one between the pump and the steering box please?
It's part number C27026
I've tried the normal parts suppliers but none have it.
One suggestion (Ken Jenkins) was I get one made by a hydraulic firm. Any better ideas out there?

Cheers, Mac.

Re: 420 high pressure hose C27026

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:09 pm
by Tintin
Sorry to hear that Mac.

The only other possibility is to identify your pump and rack connections and source adaptors to make another standard hose fit http://www.hydroscand.co.uk/welcome-to- ... rs?page=10.

But then you may as well have a new one made up? No idea as to cost though.

Robbie

Re: 420 high pressure hose C27026

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:25 pm
by BookerME
Thanks Robbie, I'll take a look.
The connections themselves are like very large brake pipes with internal flared ends. My guess is they're like this because of the extreme pressure they are under so they have to bolt up tight to the pump and steering box.
I did think that maybe I could get my pipe repaired by having it cut and then putting in some sort of straight line connector within the reinforced flexible section. I'll need to talk to someone who does this sort of thing for a living.

Mac

Re: 420 high pressure hose C27026

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:36 pm
by poprivet
I had a similar hose problem, took it to Pirtek https://www.pirtek.co.uk/ who made another using the existing ends very quickly and cheaply.

Even if you found an old stock original it is likely to have deteriated with time.

Re: 420 high pressure hose C27026

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:32 pm
by BookerME
Ah, thanks. I'd seen them on my Google searches for 'hoses'.

I did wonder if someone would be able to re-use the existing metal ends on a new bit of pipe. I'll make some enquiries if I can't find a new proper part.

Thanks for your replies all.

Re: 420 high pressure hose C27026

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:34 am
by Ronniebiggs
Hi,

I converted my Mk2 to 420 steering and had replacement hoses made up by Trident Hydraulics in Southam. Can't remember the price but they did a good job for me. Their website is https://www.tridenthydraulics.co.uk/

Jay

Re: 420 high pressure hose C27026

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:07 am
by BookerME
Thanks for the replies. A new one is being made up for me.

Some more info, that may or may not be of interest.
The problem was caused by the pipe chaffing/rubbing. Over nearly 50 years it eventually became so weak it burst under the high pressure from the pump. It was a nightmare to get off, I just about got a ¾ inch open-ended spanner on the fittings. I also had to remove the low pressure hose to get access to the nuts on the failed high pressure hose.

I was informed by the engineering company that they are not allowed to put a join in the existing pipe because it was a power steering hose. If it had been a hydraulic hose in a non-critical/safety situation on say a tractor or fork lift, it could have been repaired with a join. I don’t know if this is true but it sounded sensible enough.

I was also advised by two engineers I know that when it comes to re-fitting the hose, it may be an idea to protect it from future rubbing by enclosing it in another bit of general hose where it may come in contact with the car. That too sounded sensible.

The end fittings are angled. One at 90 degrees at the steering box end (obvious) the other end at 30 degrees at the pump end - which I hadn’t noticed. They couldn’t source the 30-degree fitting, so the new pipe is being made about an inch longer than the old one to give a bit of wriggle room when it comes to be fitted.

Cheers, Mac.

Re: 420 high pressure hose C27026

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:21 pm
by BookerME
Update: I've finally received the newly-made hose.

Pictures below.
The old burst hose and the slightly longer new hose alongside each other. The angled fitting of the pump end of the original hose.