Hello Peter,
do you mean low ratio, i.e. fewer turns of the wheel from lock to lock?
They are very rare as I hunted for one for a long time and ended up buying a complete subframe from a Mk 1 to get it. As far as I know this steering box was only fitted to MK 1s?
Alec
Stiff / vague steering
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
-
peterheywood52573

- Posts:106
- Joined:Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:50 pm
Re: Stiff / vague steering
Ah success, I tempted a reply.
The box looks like this https://www.martinrobey.com/jaguar/clas ... high-ratio I cannot be sure but it looks a later design. The lever 20 was about 1cm longer.
The seal 12 and O ring 18 were leaking. I managed to sourced proper lip seals for both from simply bearings. Dissappointingly 12 or the gaskets t are still weeping. The thrust races could be polished up to an extent in a lathe. The car is drivable at least and at last!
With the longer lever and no electrtic assistance, a car fitted with this high ratio box, must have been a real handful!
Peter
The box looks like this https://www.martinrobey.com/jaguar/clas ... high-ratio I cannot be sure but it looks a later design. The lever 20 was about 1cm longer.
The seal 12 and O ring 18 were leaking. I managed to sourced proper lip seals for both from simply bearings. Dissappointingly 12 or the gaskets t are still weeping. The thrust races could be polished up to an extent in a lathe. The car is drivable at least and at last!
With the longer lever and no electrtic assistance, a car fitted with this high ratio box, must have been a real handful!
Peter
Re: Stiff / vague steering
Hello Peter,
that link offers no specification but seems to be a developement. High or low ratio is often misused when the intent is high or low gearing which is actually the opposite.
A longer pitman arm has the effect of reducing steering turns to wheel angle, i.e. a quicker action.
Jaguar changed the original steering box with the advent of the 3.4 litre engine which increased the weight and therefore the effort to turn the wheel at very slow speed. Once on the move the steering is quite light without any assistance.
Alec
that link offers no specification but seems to be a developement. High or low ratio is often misused when the intent is high or low gearing which is actually the opposite.
A longer pitman arm has the effect of reducing steering turns to wheel angle, i.e. a quicker action.
Jaguar changed the original steering box with the advent of the 3.4 litre engine which increased the weight and therefore the effort to turn the wheel at very slow speed. Once on the move the steering is quite light without any assistance.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest