Page 1 of 1
3.4 Mk 2 Air filter bracket "Pad"
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:34 pm
by spin1952
I am restoring my 1964 3.4 Mk 2 and found a very perished "sponge/pad" on top of the air filter mounting bracket - presumably to cushion contact between the bottom of the air filter housing - I have a twin SU carbs/standard air filter - and the air filter mounting bracket. I can find no reference to this pad/cushion in any of the manuals or exploded diagrams available from the usual online parts suppliers.
Has anyone else seen one of these - and if so how do I get hold of one? Is it necessary? What can anyone suggest as a replacement?
Kind Rgds
Chris Walker
Re: 3.4 Mk 2 Air filter bracket "Pad"
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:19 pm
by PPV
On mine the air filter has a rubber ring which locates on the aluminium housing. Ohterwise no 'pad'.
Regards,
Re: 3.4 Mk 2 Air filter bracket "Pad"
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:07 am
by rick.potter1777
Like PPV mine has a circular rubber ring that provides a seal between the air cleaner base aluminium casting and the pressed steel air filter housing. I’ve just rebuilt my whole carb & air filter assembly including all the seals and gaskets. I got mine from SNGB (the seal is part number C16483 I believe).
RickP
Re: 3.4 Mk 2 Air filter bracket "Pad"
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:17 am
by spin1952
Many thanks.
This pad/cushion sits below the steel air filter housing and the filter support bracket - in addition to the C16483 circular rubber seal which, as you say, provides a seal between the air filter base and the filter housing. I am guessing that a previous owner fitted it - the vehicle was originally from New Zealand but I am not sure why that might have any relevance.