Converting carbs to manual choke.

Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx

ccooper174
Posts:40
Joined:Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:06 pm
Converting carbs to manual choke.

Postby ccooper174 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:03 pm

I have just obtained parts from Burlen to convert my HD6 SU carbs to manual choke.
Any advice or diagrams would be most welcome.

ccooper174
Posts:40
Joined:Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:06 pm

Re: Converting carbs to manual choke.

Postby ccooper174 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:07 pm

I have nearly completed the conversion and have just got to balance the carbs and test run for a period of time.
I will make another report when I am happy with the completed work.

ccooper174
Posts:40
Joined:Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:06 pm

Re: Converting carbs to manual choke.

Postby ccooper174 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:51 am

I have just finished fitting the carb conversion to manual choke and in the throws of final testing.
I will attach photos and information that I think will be helpful to anyone that is thinking of carrying out this modification. I have got to gen up on how to do this!

ccooper174
Posts:40
Joined:Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:06 pm

Re: Converting carbs to manual choke.

Postby ccooper174 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:05 am

I have looked at the forum and information about attaching photographs and it looks as if there are problems with this. I will instead list the items that I purchased from Burlen Ltd and if any one would like photos I will see if I can email them to you.

Parts order. AUC 2023 2 No brass throttle stops.
AUC 4279 2 No manifold gaskets.
AUC 8964 2 No HD6 Cam shoe and rod assembly.
AUC 8206 1 No HD Jet housing rear.
AUC 8149 1 No HD Jet housing front.
Pressed the wrong button !
Last edited by ccooper174 on Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

ccooper174
Posts:40
Joined:Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:06 pm

Re: Converting carbs to manual choke.

Postby ccooper174 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:14 am

Parts order cont`d

AUC 2106 2 No taper pins.
ABF 291 1 No 5/16" UNF Nyloc Nut.
ABF 292 1 No adjuster.
AUC 8479 1 No Choke cable ferrule.
WZX 1235 2 No HD cam shoe adjuster kits.
AUE 49 1 No Choke interconnection rod assembly.
centres 8" to 9 1/4"

You will also need the choke lever assembly that is sometimes on Ebay
that fits onto the dashboard.
A cable that runs from the dash board to the carbs. Halfords.

marcusgoody

Member
Posts:15
Joined:Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:38 am

Re: Converting carbs to manual choke.

Postby marcusgoody » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:12 pm

I have a owned a 420 since 1984!
The vacuum choke - solenoid operated from the Otter switch - works perfectly!!!
The previous owner had put a toggle switch just under the Dash -to
enable him to turn the 'choke' off as soon as the car was on a fast road!
This can be wired to interrupt the power supply (12v) to the solenoid windings
before the car has reached full operating temp - when the Otter switch does it in normal operation.
Fuel saving is marginal - though at 16 mpg and £6.00 a gallon - EVERY LITTLE HELPS!!!

The problem is much worse on the XJ6s with an AED. These always fail - my wife only getting 11mpg
out of our Daimler Sovereign Series 2 with the 4.2 litre engine on her journeys to school of approx 3 miles!!!!
I did eventually fit a manual choke c/v - though this was back in the early 90s when kits were readil;y available.

Good Luck.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests