I attended Stoneleigh Spares Day a few years ago and spoke with an exhibitor who reconditioned fuel tanks. Of all the business cards I collected that day I don't have his.
Just wondering if anyone attended recently and came across someone offering this service. Can you remember his name/company?
I'm restoring an S-type and this may be an option to buying new tanks at £308 a piece !
Thanks, Anthony.
Fuel Tank reconditioning...
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
-
Anthony0559

- Posts:14
- Joined:Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:05 pm
- Location:Kinsale, Ireland
S-type 3.8L ('66)
XJ40 SOV 2.9L (Mar '89)
XJ40 SOV 4.0L (Aug '94)
XK Coupe 4.2L (Jan '07)
XJ40 SOV 2.9L (Mar '89)
XJ40 SOV 4.0L (Aug '94)
XK Coupe 4.2L (Jan '07)
-
Anthony0559

- Posts:14
- Joined:Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:05 pm
- Location:Kinsale, Ireland
Re: Fuel Tank reconditioning...
Well it's almost nine months since my original post and no replies, even thought over a hundred views!
For members that might want to know, there is an option this side of the 'pond'. Just got my tanks back from Brownlow Radiators in Lurgan, County Armagh (N.I) who gave them the Re-Nu treatment. Tanks like new and should last another 50 years
Anthony.
For members that might want to know, there is an option this side of the 'pond'. Just got my tanks back from Brownlow Radiators in Lurgan, County Armagh (N.I) who gave them the Re-Nu treatment. Tanks like new and should last another 50 years
Anthony.
S-type 3.8L ('66)
XJ40 SOV 2.9L (Mar '89)
XJ40 SOV 4.0L (Aug '94)
XK Coupe 4.2L (Jan '07)
XJ40 SOV 2.9L (Mar '89)
XJ40 SOV 4.0L (Aug '94)
XK Coupe 4.2L (Jan '07)
Re: Fuel Tank reconditioning...
Was it a good saving on the 'new' price and how long did it take to repair?
Regards,
Regards,
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Re: Fuel Tank reconditioning...
Hi Antony,
Can I ask what was wrong with your tank to require 'reconditioning'.
The reason I ask is I have recently been unfortunate to have had my fingers inside my old Marina fuel tank and found no sign of corrosion. Plus I've just drained less than a half litre from the MkII tank (clean fuel afterwards) then burnt the remaining fuel, replaced the dirty fuel filter and burnt another tank full and it remained clean.
The Marina and the MkII had fitted standard unleaded fuel hose in about year 2000 and upon cutting a number of these open lengthwise found them to be perfect (both cars have run on super unleaded for over a year now to hopefully avoid high levels of Ethanol. No sign of damage so far.
So I was interested in the reason for your repairs?
Brian
Can I ask what was wrong with your tank to require 'reconditioning'.
The reason I ask is I have recently been unfortunate to have had my fingers inside my old Marina fuel tank and found no sign of corrosion. Plus I've just drained less than a half litre from the MkII tank (clean fuel afterwards) then burnt the remaining fuel, replaced the dirty fuel filter and burnt another tank full and it remained clean.
The Marina and the MkII had fitted standard unleaded fuel hose in about year 2000 and upon cutting a number of these open lengthwise found them to be perfect (both cars have run on super unleaded for over a year now to hopefully avoid high levels of Ethanol. No sign of damage so far.
So I was interested in the reason for your repairs?
Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
-
Anthony0559

- Posts:14
- Joined:Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:05 pm
- Location:Kinsale, Ireland
Re: Fuel Tank reconditioning...
Hello Paul & Brian, Happy new year to you both. I should have replied earlier but spent too much time in the garage over the holiday. The total cost of Re-Nu-ing both my tanks was £313. This included labour of £120 per tank, transport of £20 and VAT at 21%. Cost per tank is dependant on the condition you supply to them(Brownlow Radiators, Lurgan, Co. Armagh, N.I.). Work takes 2 to 3 working days and transport probably another 2 days. I reckon the cost of two new tanks would be closer to £800 inclusive of VAT and transport. As the tanks on the S-type lie in a very exposed area between the rear wing and the boot then it is probable that the new painted surface of new tanks will not take long to show surface rust. The Re-Nu process covers then in an epoxy type paint which I think (hope) will be more resilient.
My reasons for having the tanks done was because of the amount of outer surface rust rather than any issue with blocked filters. (The tank restraining straps litterly disintegrated onto the ground when I went to remove the tanks) After having the tanks on the shelf for a few years since I stripped the car down, internal rust was also very evident. Couple all that with a leaking & seized tank filter/drain assembly, I decided to go this Re-Nu route so as to have the assurance that I will not suffer fuel starvation or contaminination when the restored care goes back on the road later this year. (Check out Hartlepool Rads also or google Tank re-Nu. Rgds, Anthony
My reasons for having the tanks done was because of the amount of outer surface rust rather than any issue with blocked filters. (The tank restraining straps litterly disintegrated onto the ground when I went to remove the tanks) After having the tanks on the shelf for a few years since I stripped the car down, internal rust was also very evident. Couple all that with a leaking & seized tank filter/drain assembly, I decided to go this Re-Nu route so as to have the assurance that I will not suffer fuel starvation or contaminination when the restored care goes back on the road later this year. (Check out Hartlepool Rads also or google Tank re-Nu. Rgds, Anthony
S-type 3.8L ('66)
XJ40 SOV 2.9L (Mar '89)
XJ40 SOV 4.0L (Aug '94)
XK Coupe 4.2L (Jan '07)
XJ40 SOV 2.9L (Mar '89)
XJ40 SOV 4.0L (Aug '94)
XK Coupe 4.2L (Jan '07)
-
Anthony0559

- Posts:14
- Joined:Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:05 pm
- Location:Kinsale, Ireland
Re: Fuel Tank reconditioning...
Brian, Paul,
I forgot to mention on my earlier reply that while the ouside of the tanks are cleaned and coated in the black 'epoxy' type finish, the inside in also cleaned and coated in a red colour 'epoxy' which protects against internal rust. The cleaning process revealed some pin holes which had not yet materialised into petrol leaks but I guess I was not far away from that. So all in all, at this stage I'm pleased with the result.
Maybe some other readers who have had their tanks Re-Nu-ed might let us know how durable or effective this process is. Guys, how has your experience been?
Regards,
Anthony
P.S I have used the word 'exoxy'. Actual coating may be different. It has a rubberised feel to it.
I forgot to mention on my earlier reply that while the ouside of the tanks are cleaned and coated in the black 'epoxy' type finish, the inside in also cleaned and coated in a red colour 'epoxy' which protects against internal rust. The cleaning process revealed some pin holes which had not yet materialised into petrol leaks but I guess I was not far away from that. So all in all, at this stage I'm pleased with the result.
Maybe some other readers who have had their tanks Re-Nu-ed might let us know how durable or effective this process is. Guys, how has your experience been?
Regards,
Anthony
P.S I have used the word 'exoxy'. Actual coating may be different. It has a rubberised feel to it.
S-type 3.8L ('66)
XJ40 SOV 2.9L (Mar '89)
XJ40 SOV 4.0L (Aug '94)
XK Coupe 4.2L (Jan '07)
XJ40 SOV 2.9L (Mar '89)
XJ40 SOV 4.0L (Aug '94)
XK Coupe 4.2L (Jan '07)
Re: Fuel Tank reconditioning...
Sorry for not having the good grace to reply to your initial post, but I know nothing of fuel tank coatings.
We seem to be into another problem area with fuel, ie Ethanol content. I have recently had my fingers inside two of our old cars steel fuel tanks for various reasons and so far haven't found a problem with the steel tank or the unleaded proof hose I had used in the past, but I can't remember if I have used copper or cunifer fuel piping (apparently copper and steel will corrode away!!!!!!??????
So I am very interested in the results of your tank coatings particularly in the future. Nodoubt like unleaded fuel it will all be resolve in time.
Best wishes and a happy new year,
Brian
We seem to be into another problem area with fuel, ie Ethanol content. I have recently had my fingers inside two of our old cars steel fuel tanks for various reasons and so far haven't found a problem with the steel tank or the unleaded proof hose I had used in the past, but I can't remember if I have used copper or cunifer fuel piping (apparently copper and steel will corrode away!!!!!!??????
So I am very interested in the results of your tank coatings particularly in the future. Nodoubt like unleaded fuel it will all be resolve in time.
Best wishes and a happy new year,
Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
Re: Fuel Tank reconditioning...
Anthony, thanks for the reply with costings etc as I have no real experience yet of the problem. That is very much appreciated as although there have been various 'slosh' sealants in use for some time it is good to see what services are offered to keep our cars on the road. It would appear that the work was about half the cost of new items. Fortunately I have a Mk2 which only has 1 tank to deal with!
Companies like Frost offer DIY kits also for sealing tanks.
I hope it works fine and keeps yor car on the road for some time yet.
Happy new year and enjoyable motoring!
Regards,
Paul
Companies like Frost offer DIY kits also for sealing tanks.
I hope it works fine and keeps yor car on the road for some time yet.
Happy new year and enjoyable motoring!
Regards,
Paul
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests