Hi, can anyone help?
Returning home from a classic car event, the left hand chrome surround insert in the windscreen popped out of the windscreen rubber from the top centre joining clip to the bottom left corner, so it did not come out completely. I taped it back to the car good enough to get back home. On examination in the morning, the screen rubber looks like its the original, showing signs of its age, a bit hard with cracks from the edges where the surround should sit in. I have tried to refit it back in place but so far without success. The workshop manual suggests using Bostik glue to fix in place. I am wondering if any fellow owners have any tips or advice on best way forward, given the age and condition of the rubber. Should I go for a new rubber or try to refit, in which case can anyone advise how to proceed?
Many thanks
Jaguarian
Mk2 windscreen rubber chrome surround popped out
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Re: Mk2 windscreen rubber chrome surround popped out
Hello Ian,
ideally a new rubber is possibly a solution. However if the trim is distorted then the rubber may not be strong enough to keep it in? It should lie naturally on top of the rubber and if this is the case then I'd go for a new seal. If it sticks up in the air, I suspect it will be very difficult to get it to stay in place. I would look for another piece of trim if that's the case?
If going the adhesive route I would use superglue if I was doing it but that does need the trim and rubber to be in good contact, i.e. it won't bridge a gap, the same is true of contact adhesive.
Alec
ideally a new rubber is possibly a solution. However if the trim is distorted then the rubber may not be strong enough to keep it in? It should lie naturally on top of the rubber and if this is the case then I'd go for a new seal. If it sticks up in the air, I suspect it will be very difficult to get it to stay in place. I would look for another piece of trim if that's the case?
If going the adhesive route I would use superglue if I was doing it but that does need the trim and rubber to be in good contact, i.e. it won't bridge a gap, the same is true of contact adhesive.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Re: Mk2 windscreen rubber chrome surround popped out
Hi Alec,
Thank you for your reply. The chrome trim is not distorted, I don't think? However when it popped out, the top edge ie horizontal section top of screen swung out at 90 degrees to the screen. Today with perseverance, I have managed to re-insert the trim. However the joining clip at top centre will come out with ease and the bottom left hand corner lower edge seems proud of the rubber slightly, sitting in my garage it has stayed in place all day. Using a thumb to press all round the trim on the section where it came out, it feels a bit loose as opposed to the right hand complete section which feels firm all way round. Do you think all I need to do is super-glue it in place? And that once glued it will regain the firm feeling? I do think I need to do something before taking the car out again as I don't want to lose the centre joining clip or risk a repeat of the same incident.
I spoke to a friend today, John Simpson, Chief Mechanic at Practical Classics mag, who restored a mk2 340 recently and said to replace the windscreen rubber is an absolute "pig", any thoughts on that? Have you had to do this job on your car?
With grateful thanks for your help thus far,
Ian
PS, we're supposed to be taking the car to a local JEC event on Sunday and it would be nice to be able to drive it with confidence and without cello tape holding the trim in place!
Thank you for your reply. The chrome trim is not distorted, I don't think? However when it popped out, the top edge ie horizontal section top of screen swung out at 90 degrees to the screen. Today with perseverance, I have managed to re-insert the trim. However the joining clip at top centre will come out with ease and the bottom left hand corner lower edge seems proud of the rubber slightly, sitting in my garage it has stayed in place all day. Using a thumb to press all round the trim on the section where it came out, it feels a bit loose as opposed to the right hand complete section which feels firm all way round. Do you think all I need to do is super-glue it in place? And that once glued it will regain the firm feeling? I do think I need to do something before taking the car out again as I don't want to lose the centre joining clip or risk a repeat of the same incident.
I spoke to a friend today, John Simpson, Chief Mechanic at Practical Classics mag, who restored a mk2 340 recently and said to replace the windscreen rubber is an absolute "pig", any thoughts on that? Have you had to do this job on your car?
With grateful thanks for your help thus far,
Ian
PS, we're supposed to be taking the car to a local JEC event on Sunday and it would be nice to be able to drive it with confidence and without cello tape holding the trim in place!
Re: Mk2 windscreen rubber chrome surround popped out
I wonder if you might be able to insert some thin double sided number plate tape between the rubber and the trim strip, even if only as a temporary measure. Parts will need to be carefully cleaned with acetone or a similar or suitable solvent. Cellulose paintwork would need to be well masked and protected during this operation.
In my experience that tape can provide a well near bulletproof solution to a number of trim type problems. Much of my modern S-type is now held together with the stuff. Bits fall off, so I stick them back on with the tape. Very useful material. It is also waterproof and quite difficult to separate parts once they are in position.
I`ve used numberplate tape in marine situations also where I`ve not wanted to drill holes for screws or bolts in external bulkheads where there is any possibility of water entering the internal structure.
Try getting a number plate off a car that has been fitted with this tape. Not always easy and one can end up using a long hacksaw blade slid up between the plate and a mounting plinth before the tape relinquishes its hold on the two parts. 3M do a particularly good product. Most motor stores would have similar material on their shelves. Cost is usually minimal.
On one occasion we stuck a 50p coin to the floor with the tape in our local sailing club bar. Always good for a laugh! Works every time..........
Mike
In my experience that tape can provide a well near bulletproof solution to a number of trim type problems. Much of my modern S-type is now held together with the stuff. Bits fall off, so I stick them back on with the tape. Very useful material. It is also waterproof and quite difficult to separate parts once they are in position.
I`ve used numberplate tape in marine situations also where I`ve not wanted to drill holes for screws or bolts in external bulkheads where there is any possibility of water entering the internal structure.
Try getting a number plate off a car that has been fitted with this tape. Not always easy and one can end up using a long hacksaw blade slid up between the plate and a mounting plinth before the tape relinquishes its hold on the two parts. 3M do a particularly good product. Most motor stores would have similar material on their shelves. Cost is usually minimal.
On one occasion we stuck a 50p coin to the floor with the tape in our local sailing club bar. Always good for a laugh! Works every time..........
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Mk2 windscreen rubber chrome surround popped out
Hello Ian,
I've not replaced the screen rubber on my Jaguar but I have done several in the past, including my Triumph which is harder I think, especially replacing the trim which fits in a different way.
There is a certain knack required but it is practical to do especially if you have an assistant.
Alec
I've not replaced the screen rubber on my Jaguar but I have done several in the past, including my Triumph which is harder I think, especially replacing the trim which fits in a different way.
There is a certain knack required but it is practical to do especially if you have an assistant.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Re: Mk2 windscreen rubber chrome surround popped out
When I rebuilt my MkII with new windscreen seals the trim was very difficult to fit as the rubber edges that locate on the chrome are BENEATH the chrome so require funny special tools made up of bent tin to do the job.
I walked away several time in disgust (tears), with older probably shrunk rubber it will probably be worse.
The rear window chrome is more of a joke as only the inner edge fits into the rubber and you then 'glue' it in and fill the huge gap with 'tigerseal' (got the tiger seal but never fitted the chrome).
If you can't get the recommended double sided tap in then you maybe able to squirt this stuff in, I've bought it from my local car paint supply place. A wet finger will smooth it off or excess removed with turps.
Best off luck
Brian
I walked away several time in disgust (tears), with older probably shrunk rubber it will probably be worse.
The rear window chrome is more of a joke as only the inner edge fits into the rubber and you then 'glue' it in and fill the huge gap with 'tigerseal' (got the tiger seal but never fitted the chrome).
If you can't get the recommended double sided tap in then you maybe able to squirt this stuff in, I've bought it from my local car paint supply place. A wet finger will smooth it off or excess removed with turps.
Best off luck
Brian
Re: Mk2 windscreen rubber chrome surround popped out
Hi, Everybody and thanks for the replies - everyone has been useful. Today I have followed Mikes advice and purchased some double sided tape and the job's done, although not road tested - that will be the proof in the pudding! Brian's comments ring true from my earlier conversations with John Simpson who said similar and my own car's rear windscreen which I've not touched bears witness to. The screen has obviously been out at some time and replaced with black glue being trowel led in all round. I had thought that at some time I would take it out and try to replace it with a better finish, - I'm having second thoughts now Brian and will probably leave well alone as it doesn't leak! Sunday will be the test as we're going to our local South Lincs club annual gathering at Burghley House, Stamford to be joined by neighbour club Notts & Borders, the weathers is looking good so hopefully if the trim stays in place it will be an enjoyable day. will keep you all advised early next week or if you're at a loose end you could come and join us - everybody is welcome.
Thanks and best wishes
Ian
Thanks and best wishes
Ian
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

