Hello, I have had to replace the rubber seals on the rear neaside door following removal to have the woodwork restored. The other three rubbers were reusable but the rear nearside was fitted with new rubber from SNG Barratt. The problem is that it takes abnormal force to close the door and that does not appear 'right'. The rubber is properly located...can anyone suggest a remedy.
Additionally the drivers door has very slightly 'dropped' and requies some force to shut it. Can these doors be adjusted easily or are they difficult.
Many thanks all advice gratefully accepted.
Neil Campbell
door seals
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Hi,
When I fitted mine some years ago I was advised that some door rubbers are very hard and others are of the correct 'softness'. I bought mine from Jagwat, they advertise in the magazine.
One of the nice things about the MkII is that most things are adjustable, that includes the doors, but the doors are heavy. The adjustment is made by fitting shims between the hinge and the door or body.
I don't know if these can be bought, but you can make some easily enough, beer cans are 4 thou thick and for years have been used as cheap shim material, shame you have to drink it!!
If you make the shims, make them with fingers rather than with holes in, then they can be slid in between the hinge and door/body, over the bolts and saves removing the bolts.
Brian
When I fitted mine some years ago I was advised that some door rubbers are very hard and others are of the correct 'softness'. I bought mine from Jagwat, they advertise in the magazine.
One of the nice things about the MkII is that most things are adjustable, that includes the doors, but the doors are heavy. The adjustment is made by fitting shims between the hinge and the door or body.
I don't know if these can be bought, but you can make some easily enough, beer cans are 4 thou thick and for years have been used as cheap shim material, shame you have to drink it!!
If you make the shims, make them with fingers rather than with holes in, then they can be slid in between the hinge and door/body, over the bolts and saves removing the bolts.
Brian
-
neilcampbell
- Posts:59
- Joined:Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:23 pm
Re: door seals
HI all first post on this site, well first on all accounts MK2, site and light restoration, questions door seals can this be done without removing the doors? and any suggestion on the best glue, Thank you
Re: door seals
Hello Neil,
CMC in Bridgnorth sell a modern seal for the MK 2 to eliminate the problems that other pattern seals give. Not as per original so unsuitable for a concours car.
If you do go for that solution I'm sure they will advise on a suitable adhesive as they use them on their restorations.
Alec
CMC in Bridgnorth sell a modern seal for the MK 2 to eliminate the problems that other pattern seals give. Not as per original so unsuitable for a concours car.
If you do go for that solution I'm sure they will advise on a suitable adhesive as they use them on their restorations.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Re: door seals
Just a small point, when fitting my seals many years ago I contacted a trimmer who advertised in the magazine and he sold be a can of the stuff, still using it when I have to take bits off. But he told me not to stick them on and immediately shut the door, leave the door open and the glue to go off a bit more.
Brian
Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
Re: door seals
Hi Brian
Thank you do you remember if you had to remove the doors to do the seals what was the tin of stuff called.
Thank you, Jaz
Thank you do you remember if you had to remove the doors to do the seals what was the tin of stuff called.
Thank you, Jaz
Re: door seals
Hi Jaz,
I lied, It is not in the garage so must have gone off and been tipped, but I have found the original receipt, and I seem to remember the trimmer couldn't supply it and I went to 'Woolies' and bought it there. It is still sold by them and is called Alpha Bond, catalogue number 259
The tin has AF178 on it, see the link below
http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1263-he ... esive.aspx
I used this stuff to glue the roof lining, door seals, vinyl to the door card and other assorted sticking jobs, nothing has come loose other that the occasional door seal when I've been working close to it and pulled it off. It is very good and I would use it again.
It is easier to fit the door seals with the doors off, but you may well disturb them on refitting the doors. I have fitted the seals with the doors in place, when they fell off after using evo-stick. It is not easy (what is on a car) but can be done.
Even with the proper door seals (formed to suit the car), I bought mine from Watjag, there will be a little wind noise, and there was a minor modification by Jaguar to improve this of putting an extra bit above the top hinge on both front doors.
Best wishes
Brian
I lied, It is not in the garage so must have gone off and been tipped, but I have found the original receipt, and I seem to remember the trimmer couldn't supply it and I went to 'Woolies' and bought it there. It is still sold by them and is called Alpha Bond, catalogue number 259
The tin has AF178 on it, see the link below
http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1263-he ... esive.aspx
I used this stuff to glue the roof lining, door seals, vinyl to the door card and other assorted sticking jobs, nothing has come loose other that the occasional door seal when I've been working close to it and pulled it off. It is very good and I would use it again.
It is easier to fit the door seals with the doors off, but you may well disturb them on refitting the doors. I have fitted the seals with the doors in place, when they fell off after using evo-stick. It is not easy (what is on a car) but can be done.
Even with the proper door seals (formed to suit the car), I bought mine from Watjag, there will be a little wind noise, and there was a minor modification by Jaguar to improve this of putting an extra bit above the top hinge on both front doors.
Best wishes
Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
