Page 1 of 1

Mk2 Sills

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:47 pm
by mickvest
Hello everyone, Is there any chance someone could post a cross sectional drawing of the sills on the Mk2, showing how the inner and outer sills fit together with the floor, or direct me to where I might find such info. Reason for asking is I think I may have uncovered some major bodgery on the car I am trying to restore ,I hope not but I need to make sure. Many thanks in advance

Re: Mk2 Sills

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:08 am
by PPV
Hi, not sure exactly what you want to see but a couple of restorations I have found useful are:
Practical Classics &Car Restorer Mk2 Jaguar Restoration book (ISBN 1 873098 07) still available and
https://landieman.com/2016/08/16/remain ... rs-part-1/
The latter is a free site with lots of info.
Hope these help with what you are looking for. Of course the Jaguar parts manual also gives some indication by identifying the parts used.
Regards,

Re: Mk2 Sills

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:45 am
by mickvest
Thanks for the reply Paul, I already have the Practical Classics book but the link to the Landieman site is very interesting

Re: Mk2 Sills

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:53 pm
by piman
Hello Mickvest.

this is an appoximate drawing, Shape and proportions are not quite right but I think will give an idea?
Scan0014.jpg
Iain

Re: Mk2 Sills

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:20 pm
by mickvest
Hello Piman, Thank you for your excellent draughtsmanship, you have drawn what I thought I should have, I attach a drawing of what the sills look like on my car. The modification cannot be seen under normal circumstances only by looking up the length of the sills. Thanks again

Re: Mk2 Sills

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:29 pm
by mickvest
Try again

Re: Mk2 Sills

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:40 pm
by mickvest
Sorry Piman I am struggling to send a JPEG image of my drawingImage

Re: Mk2 Sills

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:39 pm
by piman
Hello Mick,

I'm guessing that the lower floor lip has been trimmed and the sill also trimmed such that the original lip is much narrower or even removed entirely? Depending of the type of welding used to join the two, this would be a stonger joint than seam welding along the outer (untrimmed) lip. (Where the head of my arrow is) Ideally the wled should be as close to the vertical of the inner sill as possible.

Alec

Re: Mk2 Sills

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:51 pm
by mickvest
img011.jpg

Re: Mk2 Sills

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:07 am
by piman
Hello Mick,

tack welding on the upper part is not enough, it should be fully seam welded as per MOT requirements. Is there no welding to the floor section? That should also be seam welde or spot welded to the floor flange, if the flange still exists? How is the bottom flange of the repair section welded?

Alec

Re: Mk2 Sills

Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:05 am
by mickvest
Hello Alec
I agree tack welding of the type I can see is definitely inadequate. The floors are still attached to the remaining upper part of the inner sill by their original welds. The attachment of the "repair panel" to the bottom of the outer sill is by stitch welding along the flange. All this means I have to do yet more work to replace the inner sills to restore the lost strength and rigidity. Regards, Mick