As A new member I am about to undertake a resto on a 1964 S Type, I am sure the question has been asked many times, are the door panels interchangeable with the MK 2.
john
door panels
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
-
blackbeltuk
- Posts:62
- Joined:Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:15 pm
Re: door panels
Hi Gosnell.
Welcome. Can I ask why you want to change your door panels for a MK2. I'm doing a
restoration on a 65 S type. And I'm going to make new door cards myself.
Regards Ricky
Welcome. Can I ask why you want to change your door panels for a MK2. I'm doing a
restoration on a 65 S type. And I'm going to make new door cards myself.
Regards Ricky
Re: door panels
Hi Ricky;
the reason why I asked is that most doors that are being advertised for sale are from the mk2 and I did not want the cost of buying a door to find that that it wont fit..
john
the reason why I asked is that most doors that are being advertised for sale are from the mk2 and I did not want the cost of buying a door to find that that it wont fit..
john
-
blackbeltuk
- Posts:62
- Joined:Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:15 pm
Re: door panels
john.
So its your doors that you want to change rather than your door cards.
Ricky.
So its your doors that you want to change rather than your door cards.
Ricky.
Re: door panels
Sorry I should have made it clear, yes door panels not door cards
John
John
Re: door panels
Many years ago when I was rebuilding my rotten MkII I went to an open night at a restoration business specifically to ask about good second hand doors, a body man quietly told me that the best thing to do was repair my existing doors because at the factory they had doors in 3 or 4 sizes, and to get the very fine shut lines they would try different doors to get the right fit.
I made the door bottoms and door skins and after fitting and shimming up I welded down the back edge of the door and filed it off until it fitted closely.
If you are doing your own bodywork and replacing the sills, be aware that when you release the B/C post from the sill, it will twist a little and it is easy to get it slightly in the wrong postion. So adjust the doors AFTER the sills and B/C post is welded into position.
Brian
I made the door bottoms and door skins and after fitting and shimming up I welded down the back edge of the door and filed it off until it fitted closely.
If you are doing your own bodywork and replacing the sills, be aware that when you release the B/C post from the sill, it will twist a little and it is easy to get it slightly in the wrong postion. So adjust the doors AFTER the sills and B/C post is welded into position.
Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
Re: door panels
thanks for the reply's. The last car for a refurb was a P6 Rover and I guess the door gaps were a lot wider than the jag. During the Rover restoration I bought rust free doors fom California America and they all fitted great. This was what I had in mind for my jag, but repairs to the existing doors seem to be the the way ahead.
.regards
john
.regards
john
Re: door panels
Martec,
That takes me back a while. I welded some robust bracket's between the base of the B post and the floor to retain it in position prior to cutting the B post free.
I have some photos somewhere, I seem to remember I had brown curly hair and all my own teeth - so that's going back a bit
Oldtimer
That takes me back a while. I welded some robust bracket's between the base of the B post and the floor to retain it in position prior to cutting the B post free.
I have some photos somewhere, I seem to remember I had brown curly hair and all my own teeth - so that's going back a bit
Oldtimer
Re: door panels
Hi Oldtimer,
I also welded bed irons across the door holes to keep everything in alignment, but the MkII B/c post still twisted slightly and moved!!!
Brian
I also welded bed irons across the door holes to keep everything in alignment, but the MkII B/c post still twisted slightly and moved!!!
Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
Re: door panels
I have got a new skin for my MK2 door, I would rather fit a new skin than a repair section, felt it less likely to move with hardly any use of heat, the weld line will be on the crease at the top and more stable I hope !
If anyone has any advice regarding door skins it may help myself too
Good luck with the S Type.
If anyone has any advice regarding door skins it may help myself too
Good luck with the S Type.
Jaguar X-Type 3.0 Petrol 2002
MK2 340 1967 Matching Numbers Restoration Project
MK2 340 1967 Matching Numbers Restoration Project
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
