Stainless steel bumpers?

Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx

PPV

Member
Posts:639
Joined:Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:48 pm
Location:Nantwich
Stainless steel bumpers?

Postby PPV » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:02 am

I have seen an advert in Mercedes Enthusiast magazine (yes I have a Mercedes as well as a Jaguar) selling new stainless bumpers from a company in Vietnam. I have heard of these before elsewhere for other vehicles. They purport to make Jaguar Mk2 bumpers. The company is sgbumperscar.com. Has anyone used them and if so how did they find them?
I have sent an enquiry to the company and am awaiting a response.
Regards,
Paul
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S

Martec

Member
Posts:981
Joined:Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:08 pm
Location:North Lincs

Re: Stainless steel bumpers?

Postby Martec » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:48 pm

Hi Paul,

When I realised I needed rechromed bumpers, overriders, hub caps and rib embellishers, I considered this option and asked Ken Jenkins if this was a good idea. He wasn't in favour as he said they looked Yellow, I can't remember what he said about the fit of them. Rechroming has cost less than a grand and looks brilliant.

But I have a 1972 TC Marina with SS trim and it doesn't look yellow, but one piece was ruined by bird sh!t that I didn't get off quick enough. Also the SS is probably only a coating like Chrome. SS garden forks, spades and trowels are only coated.

Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.

1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated

PPV

Member
Posts:639
Joined:Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:48 pm
Location:Nantwich

Re: Stainless steel bumpers?

Postby PPV » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:53 pm

Thanks Brian, I did have mine rechromed about 15 years ago but despite looking after them they are starting to peel etc in 1 or 2 places now so was thinking about something more permanent.
May have to try different rechromer. I used Marque Restore near Birmingham last time.
Any suggestions?
Regards,
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S

Martec

Member
Posts:981
Joined:Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:08 pm
Location:North Lincs

Re: Stainless steel bumpers?

Postby Martec » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:49 pm

I've just had mine done by 'Prestige Plating' of Mexborough and very happy with the service and result, but time will tell, in true I had a Reuter seat side plate chromed by them over 10 years ago, but the seat has lived in the bottom of my wardrobe all that time, does that count!!

I did as I was told and covered all the chrome with Mr Sheen furniture polish which apparently protects it?

Others have been giving recommendations of firms who maybe closer to you.

Best wishes
Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.

1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated

User avatar
piman
Posts:1183
Joined:Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:32 pm
Location:Oswestry

Re: Stainless steel bumpers?

Postby piman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:01 am

Hello all,

'Stainless Steel' covers quite a range of different grades and different prices. The best for corrosive conditions is 316 I believe and is what is used for marine applications amongst many other things, but is more expensive.

Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome

PPV

Member
Posts:639
Joined:Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:48 pm
Location:Nantwich

Re: Stainless steel bumpers?

Postby PPV » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:03 am

Hi, these are SAE304 approx 1.5mm thick. 316 does contain molybdenum in addition to help resistance to chloride corrosion as in marine environments but if kept washed/cleaned then 304 should be fine for bumpers I would have thought. Perhaps someone has tried them and could share their views on the materials and what the fit/build is like. I have asked for references of use and if I get a reply will put it on the BB.
As an example they have said that the charge for one set (front and back) is approx $1500 delivered including all duties and air freight delivered to the door. Much cheaper if more ordered.
Regards,
Paul
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S

User avatar
piman
Posts:1183
Joined:Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:32 pm
Location:Oswestry

Re: Stainless steel bumpers?

Postby piman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:08 pm

Hello Paul,

I wouldn't say that 304 is 'yellow', i work a lot with 304 but it is not mirror polished so I don't know how it's colour would compare with chromium? With a brushed finish it looks a reasonable colour?

Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome

stuarthardy

Member
Posts:488
Joined:Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm
Location:North Shropshire

Re: Stainless steel bumpers?

Postby stuarthardy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:14 pm

Ken Jenkins is right. Stainless steel, when polished, does appear to give a yellow tinge to reflections seen in it whereas polished chrome gives a blue tinge to reflections.

Back in the day, domestic appliances such as kettles and toasters were chrome plated, often over copper. For the last 20 years or so chrome has been replaced by stainless steel and this change in the colour temperature was very noticeable. To me, stainless steel has never managed to look as good as a well executed chrome finish. The reflections aren't as deep or the clarity quite so crisp but there are significant benefits to using stainless steel, not least of which is the cost.

I understand that Mercedes have used stainless steel for their brightwork for some considerable time and, I think, the Pagoda has no chrome at all.

304 stainless should be fine for use on the car as long as you avoid salted roads and keep it clean. Use stainless bumper bolts as well to avoid galvanic corrosion.

We supplied some parts for an on deck marine application which were supposed to be in 316 but the supplier, because they had some to hand, decided to make them from 304 and didn't bother to tell anyone. They lasted less than 2 weeks at sea and guess who had to pay for the rework?

Courses for horses.
Stuart

1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR

weddingjags

Member
Posts:22
Joined:Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:30 pm

Re: Stainless steel bumpers?

Postby weddingjags » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:55 am

I had accident damage to the rear bumper on my 62 MK2 and decided to try stainless steel and I am quite pleased with the result. Being a non standard part it took a bit of fettling to get it to fit but it looks good and is lighter than the standard one. I bought from http://www.groupharrington.com/en who also manufacture in Vietnam.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests