Page 1 of 1

FRONT DISCS / PADS

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:37 pm
by david340
Anyone suggest a good and reasonably priced supplier for front discs / pads as I feel my Mk2 would benefit from a set !!!!!

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:14 am
by ecosselynx
Hi

Not sure what you term reasonable! But I would suggest you try EBC and use the "Green-Stuff" pads, which will help improve the braking.

bye-o

John H.

PS: I'm not a dealer.

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:46 am
by webman
My 340, pictured above was the first ‘Mk2’ to have Green Stuff pads fitted, following some research by my brother Colin on E-Type brakes.

He found a marked increase in braking efficiency and lower dust production.

For me there was another benefit.

Every year I go on the Entente Cordiale, and on some of the longer trips I experienced severe asymmetric braking.

After hours of ‘motorway’ driving through Northern France, it is not unusual to hit pockets of very heavy rain, forcing you to slow down.

The first time I experienced this, I was surprised at the speed of change in conditions. I braked hard and ‘changed lanes’ without touching the steering. Bloody frightening! It happened on two or three trips.

After fitting EBC pads things were very much better. Braking was better and pretty well balanced. There was also less dust on the wires.

As a guinea pig my first set were free but I would certainly recommend them.


Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:34 pm
by david340
Thanks for the response, will bear this in mind when it comes to replacement time..................

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:19 pm
by Ian3.4
Hi,

EBC Green stuff are the proverbial canines cojones, I have used them in my race cars, hill climb and sprint cars and road classics, (they are now in my 3.4).

There are probably better race pads but...............dust limitation, stopping power and lack of fade make them a great choice.

Ian.



Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:31 pm
by david340
With regard to the front discs, the Haynes manual advises removing the complete hub assembly before unbolting the discs.

Could anyone advise whether this is really necessary ie can the discs be unbolted, leaving the hubs in situ. Also what type of bolt are they, please. Just wondering how difficult they will be to remove !!!

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:26 pm
by ecosselynx
Hi

Makes it a whole lot easier to remove the hub and change out the disc on the bench/vise.

bye-o

John H.