The Haynes manual says a stout screwdriver can substitute for the special tool. I suppose the virtue of the special tool, is that it pushes symmetrically on the piston. Should I be using a pair of screwdrivers?
I wanted to give the pistons a bit of exercise by operating the brake pedal and getting the pistons to move 1/4" or so. I was not confident in being able to push them back.
piston resetting into caliper
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Re: piston resetting into caliper
Hello Peter,
a decent length screwdriver is all I've ever used. With the Jaguar beware of the small pin that locates the brake pad as it is easily damaged.
Alec
a decent length screwdriver is all I've ever used. With the Jaguar beware of the small pin that locates the brake pad as it is easily damaged.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
-
peterheywood52573

- Posts:106
- Joined:Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:50 pm
Re: piston resetting into caliper
Thanks Alec,
I was assuming the pin was threaded and advanced itself to limit the return of the piston to the desired clearance. Does it not have to be rotated to back off the adjustment and accommodate new pads?
Peter
I was assuming the pin was threaded and advanced itself to limit the return of the piston to the desired clearance. Does it not have to be rotated to back off the adjustment and accommodate new pads?
Peter
Re: piston resetting into caliper
Hello Peter,
no, unlike some modern brake calipers the piston simply moves in or out.
Incidentally my car has been standing for about 25 years and yet the pistons in the calipers were free, which I put down to my preference for silicone brake fluid. Many are very anti silicone considering it the devil's work but my experience has been positive.
Alec
no, unlike some modern brake calipers the piston simply moves in or out.
Incidentally my car has been standing for about 25 years and yet the pistons in the calipers were free, which I put down to my preference for silicone brake fluid. Many are very anti silicone considering it the devil's work but my experience has been positive.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest