Rear calipers 3.4S

Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx

dsbiggles

Member
Posts:3
Joined:Tue May 20, 2014 1:55 pm
Rear calipers 3.4S

Postby dsbiggles » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:12 pm

Rear brakes are seizing on my 3.4S. Braked sharply and brakes didn't 'unstick'. Cursory inspection after jacking it up shows that the rear discs are extremely hot and some smelly smoke generated. However, they freed off once cooled down and fluid didn't boil. Handbrake seems to work OK and front brakes OK. Question - is it possible to remove calipers without removing rear suspension etc? I'm thinking that if I take it to my usual service garage they'll say that discs need replacing - and this appears to be a 'diff out' job? I assume so looking at the service manual. Tempted to sort it myself - I have rebuilt calipers before and can bleed brakes etc but wondered if anyone has experience of doing this DIY and if it's possible to overhaul rear brakes without access to a proper lift - just stands, ramps and trolley jack.

PPV

Member
Posts:639
Joined:Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:48 pm
Location:Nantwich

Re: Rear calipers 3.4S

Postby PPV » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:00 pm

Hi, I have a 3.8 Mk2 and did this job myself ages ago. From what I recall then all the disc brakes (front and rear were similar in operation) were easy to get off after undoing the bolts that hold it to the axle. Usual issues of stiff nuts and bolts and need to clamp flexibles etc of course. On the back there were shims to ensure that the calipers were central on the disc when putting it all back I think. Can't remember if the front was the same but probably was.
I think you should be able to do it.
Regards,
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S

B87UL

Member
Posts:47
Joined:Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:32 pm
Location:CAMBRIDGESHIRE

Re: Rear calipers 3.4S

Postby B87UL » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:05 pm

This sounds like a classic case of the rear flexible brake hose failing internally. Once the interior starts to collapse the hose acts like a one way valve. Furthermore with the S type installation the rear right hand silencer is apt to overheat the brake hose and it would be wise to provide some shielding.

dsbiggles

Member
Posts:3
Joined:Tue May 20, 2014 1:55 pm

Re: Rear calipers 3.4S

Postby dsbiggles » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:15 pm

Thanks for the replies. It does sound like dodgy flexible pipes. The garage mentioned they were looking ropey at last MOT. Hopefully a much simpler repair - although not looking forward to bleeding the brakes!

ChrisDixon
Posts:330
Joined:Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:51 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Rear calipers 3.4S

Postby ChrisDixon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:45 pm

There is just the one flexible hose which is relatively easy to change. However as you suspect bleeding the brakes is a bit fiddly. Changing the calipers with the cage in situ is very difficult, not least due to the need to first remove the handbrake calipers and limited access to the caliper and driveshaft bolts. I only managed it courtesy of someone having cut out a hole in the floor, which I believe was a popular modification on e-types to make brake servicing easier. Its actually easier to drop the cage. Hope its just the hose!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests