I have a 1961 Mk 2. The master has failed , no pressure etc. As far as I know the master is original. It was overhauled over 10 years ago and since then has been in storage, so I am not surprised. I don't know whether is was resleeved at the time.
The cost of a new one seems to vary between £50 and £250 Does anyone have any experience with the cheaper versions ? I think from reading that the Dunlop version is NLA, so am I looking at a Girling style, with an adaptor ?
I may say that I haven't had the unit apart yet so don't know if the recon was a resleeve or something less comprehensive.
Thanking you for any advice.
Mk 2 Brake Master Cylinder
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Re: Mk 2 Brake Master Cylinder
Hello Sunbeam,
they are relatively simple devices, I would dismantle and clean it with brake fluid, essentially to free up and lubricate the seals etc and to check the bore is smooth and rust free (Don't used methylated spirits as that can damage the seals, I am not sure whether I would risk any of the more modern brake cleaners either). If the seals don't look very good just replace them, assuming seal kits are still available. It's worth trying the specialist brake spares companies that are around rather than Jaguar specialists for this.
I see SNG Barratt sell a conversion kit for the Girling cylinder but I would consider that rather expensive. However I have a well equipped workshop and would make up the necessay adapter but I know that I am in the minority. A new master cylinder from a reputable manufacturer is under half the price of the Barratt kit (Around £80.00)
Alec
P.S, I see the Dunlop cylinder has an internal valve, presumably so as to isolate the reservoir line when the brake is pressed. This would be the primary suspect of the malfunction to me?
they are relatively simple devices, I would dismantle and clean it with brake fluid, essentially to free up and lubricate the seals etc and to check the bore is smooth and rust free (Don't used methylated spirits as that can damage the seals, I am not sure whether I would risk any of the more modern brake cleaners either). If the seals don't look very good just replace them, assuming seal kits are still available. It's worth trying the specialist brake spares companies that are around rather than Jaguar specialists for this.
I see SNG Barratt sell a conversion kit for the Girling cylinder but I would consider that rather expensive. However I have a well equipped workshop and would make up the necessay adapter but I know that I am in the minority. A new master cylinder from a reputable manufacturer is under half the price of the Barratt kit (Around £80.00)
Alec
P.S, I see the Dunlop cylinder has an internal valve, presumably so as to isolate the reservoir line when the brake is pressed. This would be the primary suspect of the malfunction to me?
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
-
sunbeamwa678

- Posts:2
- Joined:Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:55 pm
Re: Mk 2 Brake Master Cylinder
Hi Alec,
Thank you very much for your sensible reply and information. I will do what you recommend, once the weather is a bit less arctic, and then see what transpires. And thank you for the offer of the adaptor. It is good to know what the options are . Really don't fancy spending £250 if I can help it
Best Regards
Ian Mockford
Thank you very much for your sensible reply and information. I will do what you recommend, once the weather is a bit less arctic, and then see what transpires. And thank you for the offer of the adaptor. It is good to know what the options are . Really don't fancy spending £250 if I can help it
Best Regards
Ian Mockford
-
peterheywood52573

- Posts:106
- Joined:Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:50 pm
Re: Mk 2 Brake Master Cylinder
Try Past Parts Bury St Edmunds.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests