Matching clutch hydraulic parts/ pushrod dimensions
Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:17 pm
I have been chasing a niggle with the clutch on my 1961 2.4 since I got it home. I am not happy with the operation on the hydraulic side, and currently cursing a lack of data! In brief, the biting point is either very high, or is slightly variable.
The potted version is the car has 37000 miles from new, a new clutch was put in back in 1995, mileage since then is around 2500 miles, 750 are what I have put in since May. I checked the clutch fluid and as it was pretty dire (black sludge at the bottom of the reservoir) I have stripped the hydraulics down, honed the bore on the slave and replaced the seals to eek a few more months out of it for the summer, and replaced the seals in the master cylinder, There was some seepage in the slave, and no sign of a leak from the master at all. Back in 1995 the garage fitted the later diaphragm clutch, along with a long type slave cylinder, fitted with the original return spring on the outside. The casting for the slave is marked as 3232-648C,which I believe is the later non-hydrostatic slave (C29801). This was when the car was with the previous owner.
Thanks to the bargain £40 Lidl inspection camera I have been able to look inside the bell housing to see it is definitely the diaphragm clutch, and the release bearing looks to be in good condition with little wear. The iron part is painted so I am pretty sure it is the correct matching one for the diaphragm clutch (type HD1099 according to David Manners website). I am pretty confident there are no problems in the clutch itself, as unless someone has driven riding the clutch continually before I took on the car I find it hard to belive the friction plate can have been worn out in less than the routine adjustment mileage!
Since I flushed the system (thoroughly with methylated spirit as per the service manual) and replaced the seals the clutch operation is less mushy, but the biting point varies a little before currently settling close to the top of the pedal. Beforehand it was feeling like it was dragging a little at times, and gets a fair amount of judder after a longish drive on a hot day in first and reverse. The variation in biting point I can put down to the condition of the slave bore even after honing and seals, but the high biting point is more of a puzzle.
The questions are:
1: Does anyone have accurate measurements for the different operating rods? Specifically for the short cylinder, and for the later non-hydrostatic cylinder, and whether this is just the rod itself or including the adjustable fork part.
2: Does it matter which cylinder is used with the diaphragm clutch, or is it irrelevant as long as the correct operating rod is used?
3: Which free play adjustment should I be working to: the 3/4" at the pedal as in the manual for the early cylinder, or the 1/16" at the operating rod and fork as in the service bulletin for the long non-hydrostatic cylinder? I am struggling to tell what the free play at the pedal is , as I am more used to setting up cable clutches. There is currently a bit of rattle room on the pedal and the release fork (close to the 1/16" in the bulletin), but for the pedal are we talking about the light resistance felt before the slave actually moves the fork?
I am pretty much decided that the current slave will be evicted and a new one fitted sooner rather than later, but I am loath to order a new one before I know whether to order the same one as I have now, or to return it to the orginal short cylinder. A new flexible hose will be going in on the order just to be on the safe side, but I'd rather order once and order right than end up chucking parts at things!
The potted version is the car has 37000 miles from new, a new clutch was put in back in 1995, mileage since then is around 2500 miles, 750 are what I have put in since May. I checked the clutch fluid and as it was pretty dire (black sludge at the bottom of the reservoir) I have stripped the hydraulics down, honed the bore on the slave and replaced the seals to eek a few more months out of it for the summer, and replaced the seals in the master cylinder, There was some seepage in the slave, and no sign of a leak from the master at all. Back in 1995 the garage fitted the later diaphragm clutch, along with a long type slave cylinder, fitted with the original return spring on the outside. The casting for the slave is marked as 3232-648C,which I believe is the later non-hydrostatic slave (C29801). This was when the car was with the previous owner.
Thanks to the bargain £40 Lidl inspection camera I have been able to look inside the bell housing to see it is definitely the diaphragm clutch, and the release bearing looks to be in good condition with little wear. The iron part is painted so I am pretty sure it is the correct matching one for the diaphragm clutch (type HD1099 according to David Manners website). I am pretty confident there are no problems in the clutch itself, as unless someone has driven riding the clutch continually before I took on the car I find it hard to belive the friction plate can have been worn out in less than the routine adjustment mileage!
Since I flushed the system (thoroughly with methylated spirit as per the service manual) and replaced the seals the clutch operation is less mushy, but the biting point varies a little before currently settling close to the top of the pedal. Beforehand it was feeling like it was dragging a little at times, and gets a fair amount of judder after a longish drive on a hot day in first and reverse. The variation in biting point I can put down to the condition of the slave bore even after honing and seals, but the high biting point is more of a puzzle.
The questions are:
1: Does anyone have accurate measurements for the different operating rods? Specifically for the short cylinder, and for the later non-hydrostatic cylinder, and whether this is just the rod itself or including the adjustable fork part.
2: Does it matter which cylinder is used with the diaphragm clutch, or is it irrelevant as long as the correct operating rod is used?
3: Which free play adjustment should I be working to: the 3/4" at the pedal as in the manual for the early cylinder, or the 1/16" at the operating rod and fork as in the service bulletin for the long non-hydrostatic cylinder? I am struggling to tell what the free play at the pedal is , as I am more used to setting up cable clutches. There is currently a bit of rattle room on the pedal and the release fork (close to the 1/16" in the bulletin), but for the pedal are we talking about the light resistance felt before the slave actually moves the fork?
I am pretty much decided that the current slave will be evicted and a new one fitted sooner rather than later, but I am loath to order a new one before I know whether to order the same one as I have now, or to return it to the orginal short cylinder. A new flexible hose will be going in on the order just to be on the safe side, but I'd rather order once and order right than end up chucking parts at things!