Page 1 of 1

Gearbox and clutch options?

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:46 pm
by peterheywood52573
I have a 65 Mk2 3.4 Moss-manual with overdrive. The stiff clutch spoils the car for me. The long travel on the gear change also. I had intended changing the clutch and gearbox but resolved to drive the car for a while to find out what else needed attention. What options are open ?
Could a later all-synchro OD box be fitted without other mods such as to the propshaft?
Can the later diaphragm clutch be fitted without other mods?

The current clutch was replaced in its entirety 20 years ago / 20k ago and the gearbox supposedly rebuilt at the same time. Take-up of drive by the clutch is very smooth. I did wonder whether there was excessive friction somewhere. The clutch is at its heaviest on first use after start up.

It would be great to be able to keep driving it until the winter. There are water and oil leaks to be assessed and I would hate to have the engine out twice.
Peter

Re: Gearbox and clutch options?

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:42 am
by piman
Hello Peter,

I can't answer your gearbox question although I would expect it to be a straight swap?

The diaphragm clutch needs a corresponding flywheel as I believe the bolt layout is different so will not fit a coil spring clutch flywheel. This is something I intend doing to my car when I get to that stage, although I will retain the Moss gearbox. I like the characteristic noise it makes.

Alec

Re: Gearbox and clutch options?

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:28 pm
by peterheywood52573
Thanks Alec,
Robeys does indeed show a different bolt pattern for the early coil-spring and the later diaphragm clutch covers. They do not show different flywheels though. It is odd but I have time to find out more.
I meant to ask whether the S-type box was also interchangeable.

Peter

Re: Gearbox and clutch options?

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:51 pm
by peterheywood52573
further
SNG Barrat describe their flywheel options as being dual-drilled, which I assume is for both types of clutch cover plate.

Re: Gearbox and clutch options?

Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:04 am
by peterheywood52573
Me again,
Can anyone advise, what short-tail and long-tail gearbox is all about?
Peter

Re: Gearbox and clutch options?

Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:04 pm
by Martec
I had a worn out moss box, the bearings can be replaced but the synchromesh is part of the gear so can't be overhauled, I fitted a rebuilt full synchro box with a good overdrive and its correct bellhousing.It bolted straight on and the original coil sprung clutch fits OK. I also bought the propshaft that came with it.

It is a nice meaty gearchanged but the clutch is still very heavy, I copied a servo arrangement that Ken Jenkins did and it is a nice light clutch action.
I recently had to take it all out again after about 50,000 miles as the carbon release bearing had worn away, see elsewhere how to overcome this.