Engine timing marks?
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:00 pm
I have a 1961 3.8 Mk2 and have recently installed Powerspark electronic ignition. It certainly sharpened up starting but I was conscious that I had never checked the timing since I had bought the car about 15 years ago.
The engine number is LB4894-8. I have had a look on the BB but could not find an answer which addresses my issue.
The problem is that I cannot find any graduated timing marks on my front pulley except for 2 lines about 10 degrees apart on the side face of the flange. I have a pointer attached to the engine at the bottom and I do not have any marks at all on the flywheel or the access port at the bottom of the bellhousing which I understood is an alternative position for markings.
When I use my timing light the two marks are miles away from the pointer and at about 500 rpm it is 'timed' at about 15 degrees after TDC. I checked the TDC position with getting no 1 cylinder at TDC and it looks like one of the marks could be the right one. However, if I use that mark and assume that the other one is 10 BTDC the engine runs rough. If I increase the revs then the assumed TDC mark does move closer to the pointer position and at about 3000rpm it shows 20 BTDC.
I had understood the car should have static timing of about 10ish BTDC (500rpm before mechancical advance has chance to operate?) and at about 3000rpm should have about 38 BTDC showing (vacuum pipe blanked off).
Now could anyone advise if the marks I described are in fact the TDC and 10BTDC and secondly if it should be Ok to run it as set?
I have tried adjusting the vernier and if I retard it more than originally set it spits back through the carbs and if I advance it then it seems to run roughly as though one cylinder is not firing all the time. ( I have tried loosening the distributor but at present cannot get it to move!).
I have checked the distributor and there is no play in the shaft and the car has always started well but has not run on the road as smoothly as I would have expected (slight roughness like a cylinder does not always fire). This was the case with points installed also. It has new spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor arm and leads as well as the electronic ignition. All these have made no noticeable difference.
Many thanks,
Paul
The engine number is LB4894-8. I have had a look on the BB but could not find an answer which addresses my issue.
The problem is that I cannot find any graduated timing marks on my front pulley except for 2 lines about 10 degrees apart on the side face of the flange. I have a pointer attached to the engine at the bottom and I do not have any marks at all on the flywheel or the access port at the bottom of the bellhousing which I understood is an alternative position for markings.
When I use my timing light the two marks are miles away from the pointer and at about 500 rpm it is 'timed' at about 15 degrees after TDC. I checked the TDC position with getting no 1 cylinder at TDC and it looks like one of the marks could be the right one. However, if I use that mark and assume that the other one is 10 BTDC the engine runs rough. If I increase the revs then the assumed TDC mark does move closer to the pointer position and at about 3000rpm it shows 20 BTDC.
I had understood the car should have static timing of about 10ish BTDC (500rpm before mechancical advance has chance to operate?) and at about 3000rpm should have about 38 BTDC showing (vacuum pipe blanked off).
Now could anyone advise if the marks I described are in fact the TDC and 10BTDC and secondly if it should be Ok to run it as set?
I have tried adjusting the vernier and if I retard it more than originally set it spits back through the carbs and if I advance it then it seems to run roughly as though one cylinder is not firing all the time. ( I have tried loosening the distributor but at present cannot get it to move!).
I have checked the distributor and there is no play in the shaft and the car has always started well but has not run on the road as smoothly as I would have expected (slight roughness like a cylinder does not always fire). This was the case with points installed also. It has new spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor arm and leads as well as the electronic ignition. All these have made no noticeable difference.
Many thanks,
Paul