Can anyone tell me the approx/ weight of a 3.4 s type engine i am embarking on my winter project to change the rear oil seal hence engine out and i am not sure what size engine stand to buy would a 450 kg stand do.
cheers jim
3.4 engine weight
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Re: 3.4 engine weight
Hello Jim,
something in the back of my mind says about 7 to 8 cwt, which is about 400 Kg. However a six cylinder engine at 400 Kg is a greater load on the engine stand than a four cylinder engine at 400 kg because the centre of gravity is further out so the load increases on the stand.
For peace of mind perhaps the next size up is a better choice?
Alec
something in the back of my mind says about 7 to 8 cwt, which is about 400 Kg. However a six cylinder engine at 400 Kg is a greater load on the engine stand than a four cylinder engine at 400 kg because the centre of gravity is further out so the load increases on the stand.
For peace of mind perhaps the next size up is a better choice?
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Re: 3.4 engine weight
On the basis of that calculation, this unit might suffice. Good price as well.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000lbs-450kg ... 2423&rt=nc
Just ordered one myself. After the fun I`ve just had rebuilding a Perkins 4.108, I`ve had enough of turning engines over on the floor to fit pistons, rods and cranks. At least I will now be able to work in comfort rather than on hands and knees! Advancing age is a terrible thing!!
Mike
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000lbs-450kg ... 2423&rt=nc
Just ordered one myself. After the fun I`ve just had rebuilding a Perkins 4.108, I`ve had enough of turning engines over on the floor to fit pistons, rods and cranks. At least I will now be able to work in comfort rather than on hands and knees! Advancing age is a terrible thing!!
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: 3.4 engine weight
Hello Jim,
from Google, an XK 4.2 engine weighs about 275 kilos with flywheel and manifolds. so that stand will be fine.
Alec
from Google, an XK 4.2 engine weighs about 275 kilos with flywheel and manifolds. so that stand will be fine.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Re: 3.4 engine weight
Hi Alec i take your point about the centre of gravity but at 270kg as you say the 450kg should be ok.Hello Jim,
from Google, an XK 4.2 engine weighs about 275 kilos with flywheel and manifolds. so that stand will be fine.
Alec
NB
Can the rear seal be changed in situ with the gearbox out of the way ??
many thanks jim
Re: 3.4 engine weight
Its a shame you didn't go to the XK engine seminar at Castle Bromwich yesterday as you would have seen photos of the fitting of a 'White' asbestos rope seal being pressed into the two seal housings, clamped to the block and sized apparently over a few hours with the special tool (crankshaft removed). Comments were made by Bob Bates and David Marks about the disaster of trying to fit the later Black rope, and of Ken Jenkins talking of the replacement kit to fit a split lipseal which I believe is for sale now or soon (I saw this or something similar on Ken's desk a few months ago).
Apparently there is also a kit for the earlier scrowl 'seal' which requires skimimng undersize or the crank to remove the scrowl on the crank.
Brian
Apparently there is also a kit for the earlier scrowl 'seal' which requires skimimng undersize or the crank to remove the scrowl on the crank.
Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
Re: 3.4 engine weight
Hello Jim,
unless you already have a lip seal conversion then the answer is no, as the crank needs to come out to size the rope seal properly. Ron Beaty's video which I have says you can size the seal using a socket bar extension to smooth it into the groove but I suspect that would be hit and miss if you have not done it that way before a few times?
Brian, I was at that seminar and found it very informative, well worth going to.
Alec
unless you already have a lip seal conversion then the answer is no, as the crank needs to come out to size the rope seal properly. Ron Beaty's video which I have says you can size the seal using a socket bar extension to smooth it into the groove but I suspect that would be hit and miss if you have not done it that way before a few times?
Brian, I was at that seminar and found it very informative, well worth going to.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

