Engine OIl Levels.

Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx

peterdpps

Member
Posts:127
Joined:Fri May 01, 2009 9:14 am
Engine OIl Levels.

Postby peterdpps » Fri May 21, 2010 9:23 am

I've had my Mk2 - 240 for 25+ years and it has always used / lost quite a lot of oil.

By chance I recently read an article saying that there have been instances on the XK engine of dipsticks which are either too short or incorrectly calibrated giving false readings.

I mentioned this to my garage yesterday when the car went in for service and MOT. I suggested that they put in the amount of oil specified in the manual and check it against the dipstick.

Interestingly, even after allowing the oil to settle the level on the dipstick is BELOW the minimum line. I shall keep an eye on the level but it seems like I have been pumping excess oil out of every orifice for the last 25 years!

Has anyone else come across this? :?

User avatar
PJF
Posts:73
Joined:Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:28 am

Postby PJF » Fri May 21, 2010 4:24 pm

Certainly have!

My brother Colin Ford of E-Type fame, who restored my 340, modified my dipstick, so that with the correct (Manual Advice) amount of oil in a newly restored clean engine, the level appears in the hatched zone.

Before then, I was using rather more oil and if like me, you sometimes put just a little too much in, it occasionally produced huge volumes of smoke!

Not a pretty sight...

This does appear to be a problem with most (if not all) XK dipsticks.

Colin and Ken Jenkins are of the same view.



peterdpps

Member
Posts:127
Joined:Fri May 01, 2009 9:14 am

Postby peterdpps » Mon May 24, 2010 2:39 pm

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad it's not just me!

I shall keeep an eye on the new level and the garage floor to see if excess oil has been the cause of leaks.

It is surprising though that if this is a common problem that it has not attracted more attention in club circles. :o

User avatar
sweller

Member
Posts:166
Joined:Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Postby sweller » Tue May 25, 2010 8:08 am

I've just changed the oil and filter in my 1965 S - in preparation for tomorrow's run to Verona.

Added 6.75 litres of fresh oil and it comes to the bottom of the hatched area of the dipstick. I'll keep it there and see how much it consumes.

Simon


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests