Page 1 of 1

Gasket sealant

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:26 pm
by skodajag
I’m replacing exhaust gaskets and am finding difficulty in locating a sealant. Most of the modern products seem to be replacements for the traditional gasket rather than sealing supplements. What product would you suggest for a sealing supplement to add to the traditional type of gasket?

Re: Gasket sealant

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:28 pm
by piman
Hello Skodajag,

exhaust gaskets don't require a sealant, they are used dry.

Alec

Re: Gasket sealant

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:40 pm
by peterheywood52573
Can we keep this post going. It is very poignant, as I am putting the engine back together. One of the reasons it was taken apart was oil leaks.
So (provocatively) listing the options and what is going around my mind:
Silicones: Reportedly, any excess flaps about in the crankcase and ends up in the oil. Seems to stick well to Alu and cast iron but not always to gaskets.
Hylomar: Seems to be good for water, not sure about oil.
Hermatite red: This used to be a paste, which filled imperfections. The new stuff looks more like a silicone.
Wellseal: Seems to penetrate paper gaskets well. It seems a bit aggressive. Perhaps only used where recommended.
It would be interesting to read what others have experienced.

Re: Gasket sealant

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:21 am
by steve_m
Spit.
Before they invented vacuum and pressure testers.

Re: Gasket sealant

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:03 pm
by skodajag
Peter, like you I’m in search of sound advice, not least because the products out there claim, implausibly, to do everything for any application,

Re: Gasket sealant

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:27 pm
by piman
Peter,

the silicone instant gasket does work but requires some skill to apply the right amount to the right area. It is a replacement for a gasket not a sealant to use with a gasket. Many modern engines just use that, applied by robots.

I do use hylomar on paper gaskets, oil or water, mainly to keep the gasket in place while I assemble the component. I don't think it really improves the sealing as long as the faces are clean and undamaged.

It is important that the faces of the components are true and not damaged. Sheet steel components are the worst as they distort if the fasteners are over tightened.

There is no one magic sealant for all applications.

Alec

Re: Gasket sealant

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:13 pm
by rogersouthern626
Rolls-Royce (when it was Rolls-Royce and not some subsidiary of a certain German manufacturer) always stated/recommended Wellseal for use on their gaskets.

Not very useful information for Jaguar purposes but just as bit of extra back-ground on sealants!

Re: Gasket sealant

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:47 pm
by skodajag
What was good for RR is good for Jaguar. But: is it the same product now as then? Many things are not.

Re: Gasket sealant

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:52 pm
by rogersouthern626
As far as I'm aware Wellseal formulation remains the same now as it ever was. It certainly works as I've used it when rebuilding a Rolls-Royce FB40 engine.

Re: Gasket sealant Permatex

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:36 pm
by peterheywood52573
I have been looking on the internet/ other forums, for a dressing for the cyl head gasket. Permatex seems to have following for this application. The problem is, where to get it? I have ordered it but the supplier is making excuses on shipment. Euro car parts either have the wrong photo or the wrong description. Here's hoping someone knows a source near Bury St Edmunds.
Peter

Re: Gasket sealant

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:32 pm
by peterheywood52573
The Permatex was delivered today.
Peter