I thought I would take a look at the oil pump before putting it back in the engine. The radial clearances of both rotors are OK. The end floats were a bit over 3 thou and should be under 2 1/2 thou. I tried lapping the body but did not effect much of a change to the end float. Has anyone any experience? / advice?
Peter
oil pump clearances
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Re: oil pump clearances
Hello Peter,
coarse grit for the stock removal and fine for a better finish at the end However hand lapping can tend to remove material unevenly so some care is required.
As an aside, In Alf Francis' book Racing Mecahnic, when maintaining Stirling Moss's Maserati 250 F stated that Maserati did not use a head gasket but the head and block were lapped together. That sounds like hard work.
Alec
coarse grit for the stock removal and fine for a better finish at the end However hand lapping can tend to remove material unevenly so some care is required.
As an aside, In Alf Francis' book Racing Mecahnic, when maintaining Stirling Moss's Maserati 250 F stated that Maserati did not use a head gasket but the head and block were lapped together. That sounds like hard work.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
