Rear engine mount and clutch flex pipe
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Hi, after a year rebuilding my engine, gearbox and diff and rewiring my 1968 240 project i am preparing the drive train to reinstall. Unfortunately my memory is not what it was and i do not have photos of the rear engine mounting and clutch flex pipe locations and need help please. The rear engine mounting consists of two brackets which bolt directly into the clutch bel housing but it is possible to bolt them in two positions. Effectivly it is possible to position the vertical rod which goes through the bulkhead mount in two positions 20mm apart. Can someone please let me know if the vertical rod is positioned at the closest position to the cylinder head or by reversing the two brackets on the bell housing 20mm further back towards the rear of the drive train. I know i will be able to change the position in situ but would prefer to get it right to ensure the tricky reinstallation of the complete drive train goes as smoothly as possible as my only option, given my workshop, is to hoist it and install from above. Secondly, i cannot figure out the correct layout of the connections of the clutch copper pipes to the flexible pipe which i seam to remember is secured to a chrome bracket bolted to the two rear cylinder head bolts. I presume one side to the flexible pipe connects to this bracket but i can't figure out wher the other end is secured, perhaps i have misplaced a bracket or something so again, any assistance would be appreciated, and or photos would be great.
Re: Rear engine mount and clutch flex pipe
For anyone who needs to know, i have managed to answer the second question of the clutch flex pipe, thanks to Pinterest. The flex pipe mounts on the chrome bracket on the cylinder head and conects there to the slave cylinder copper pipe. It then bends to mount on a bracket on the bulkhead and connects there to the pipe from the clutch master cylinder. Still strugelling with which way round to bolt on the rear engine mounting brackets to the bell housing. 





Re: Rear engine mount and clutch flex pipe
Hello Doheryo,
from the illustration in the parts manual the brackets are fitted with the offset upper hole to the rear, so away from the block.
Alec
from the illustration in the parts manual the brackets are fitted with the offset upper hole to the rear, so away from the block.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Re: Rear engine mount and clutch flex pipe
Piman, you are a star thank you. I must state though that i struggle to understand why 68 people have read the post and have not responded. Given That they must have a mk2 with an engine and witH a bit of effort could have looked at their motor and responded, it negates the opportunity of the concept of this forum. Thank you.
Re: Rear engine mount and clutch flex pipe
Hi - I was one of those 68 and only read the post out of interest. I don't own a MK2 but thought I might learn something. I don't suppose I was alone.Piman, you are a star thank you. I must state though that i struggle to understand why 68 people have read the post and have not responded. Given That they must have a mk2 with an engine and witH a bit of effort could have looked at their motor and responded, it negates the opportunity of the concept of this forum. Thank you.
It's usually the way that many of us read a post and don't know the answer but then someone comes along who does and the original poster gets the information they need and the rest of us increase our knowledge so please don't interpret the high number of views compared to replies as disinterest - quite the opposite!
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: Rear engine mount and clutch flex pipe
Hi, I was also one of those who read the post. I do have a Mk2, I went out and looked at my car and it is not as you describe so rather than confuse the matter I did not comment. I think it is excellent that so many are either interested in learning, reading for interest or trying to help, so I agree with David, do not suppose the statistics are establishing lack of interest.
Hope it is fixed.
Regards,
Hope it is fixed.
Regards,
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Re: Rear engine mount and clutch flex pipe
Hello Paul,
as with many things on cars of this age it is difficult to be sure that what you have is correct. The illustration in the parts maual is very clear, but it would be nice to have my input corroberated?
Alec
as with many things on cars of this age it is difficult to be sure that what you have is correct. The illustration in the parts maual is very clear, but it would be nice to have my input corroberated?
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Re: Rear engine mount and clutch flex pipe
Alec, having re installed my drive train over the weekend I can confirm that the information you supplied was correct as the fixings line up perfectly with the bulk head fixing, i have tried to attach a photo but i keep getting a message that the files are too big and i have no way, that i know off, to reduce their size. If anyone can advise i would be grateful. DavidR and PPV, i must appologise to you and others who have read this thread, as now that it is not 01.20 on a sunday morning, my inputs are not effected by alcohol after a saturday evening out. I too read significantly more that i post and therefore please accept my appologies for my Myanderings.
After my drivetrain reinstallation i have some points which may help others but i would need to post pictures so if anyone can advise the file sizes allowable i will try to construct a new thrad with images.
After my drivetrain reinstallation i have some points which may help others but i would need to post pictures so if anyone can advise the file sizes allowable i will try to construct a new thrad with images.
Re: Rear engine mount and clutch flex pipe
No need for apology!
The photo size thing is a bit of a pain but I'm afraid we're stuck with it for now. There are issues around storage space etc that aren't as easy to solve as we'd all hope! (That's what James patiently explains to me every time I have a moan!)
The photos need to be resized to about 1300 X 900 pixels and then they'll load up. If you are running a Windows pc then you'll almost certainly have MS Paint which you can use to do this. No need for anything fancier than that.
Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your hard work
Regards
David
The photo size thing is a bit of a pain but I'm afraid we're stuck with it for now. There are issues around storage space etc that aren't as easy to solve as we'd all hope! (That's what James patiently explains to me every time I have a moan!)
The photos need to be resized to about 1300 X 900 pixels and then they'll load up. If you are running a Windows pc then you'll almost certainly have MS Paint which you can use to do this. No need for anything fancier than that.
Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your hard work
Regards
David
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: Rear engine mount and clutch flex pipe
Thanks David. Had to download an app to resize as I am iPhone and iPad I’m afraid.
Re: Rear engine mount and clutch flex pipe
Hi no need to apologise. A good picture. I will go out and compare to mine but at present I am a bit under the weather. Glad it all worked.
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

