Finally getting around to "sorting the Jag " I am concerned the clutch will may well be stuck solid after 28 years.
Would this be normal? Has enyone sorted this without taking the engine out?
no rush as busy trying to sort the Dunlop brakes just now. 1967 S Type.
sticking clutch.
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Re: sticking clutch.
Hello Roy,
it's quite possible that it will be stuck. I use the car to free the clutch by depressing the clutch then start it in gear, heel and toe to drive against the brakes, usually it will free in a few feet. Run the engine until it's warm also helps.
Alec
it's quite possible that it will be stuck. I use the car to free the clutch by depressing the clutch then start it in gear, heel and toe to drive against the brakes, usually it will free in a few feet. Run the engine until it's warm also helps.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Re: sticking clutch.
Hi, my clutch sometimes gets stuck over the winter if not used. I use the technique described by Alec but after 28years? Worth a try though, usually goes with a loud noise!
Best of luck,
Best of luck,
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Re: sticking clutch.
Thank you gents, your suggestion much appreciated. Just now I am busy waiting for the wd 40 to work it's magic so I can remove the front calipers. But will report back re the clutch.
Re: sticking clutch.
Roy,
Just a passing thought, the WD in Wd40 means Water Dispersant , try Plus gas (been around for fifty years) for seized / rusted nuts and bolts or even brake fluid ( horrible stuff ) but works.
Just a passing thought, the WD in Wd40 means Water Dispersant , try Plus gas (been around for fifty years) for seized / rusted nuts and bolts or even brake fluid ( horrible stuff ) but works.
Re: sticking clutch.
Better still, throw the Dunlop callipers in the bin and fit some proper aftermarket brakes.
Look at the pad size compared to modern brakes.
When something modern overtakes you pulls in and slams their brakes on, I hope you are wearing brown trousers!
Brian
PS the aftermarket brakes will probably cost the same as 8 new brake pistons and cylinders!!
Look at the pad size compared to modern brakes.
When something modern overtakes you pulls in and slams their brakes on, I hope you are wearing brown trousers!
Brian
PS the aftermarket brakes will probably cost the same as 8 new brake pistons and cylinders!!
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
Re: sticking clutch.
Hello Brian,
the original brakes will lock the wheeels, you can't improve on that. Pad life may be shorter and hard use will probably bring on fade but I think very few of us use the brakes hard and repeatedly on the road?
I take the point about cost however so it depends on what needs doing.
Alec
the original brakes will lock the wheeels, you can't improve on that. Pad life may be shorter and hard use will probably bring on fade but I think very few of us use the brakes hard and repeatedly on the road?
I take the point about cost however so it depends on what needs doing.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Re: sticking clutch.
Funny I thought you would disagree, I can confirm that the Girling 3 pot calipers (420) can lock the brakes.
Brian
Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
Re: sticking clutch. Brakes rebuild.
Hi again and thank you for your interest.
Plus gas. Never used it, but I will get a can next week.
Dunlop originals. Admittedly not the best design but I can attest to the effectiveness. Before I took the car off the road, it was in daily use and performed well. I have considered the 420..3 pot option and if on inspection the originals are in poor condition then so be it. But as I no longer live a high milage life, I'm quite happy to lock the wheels with the original Dunlops.
As you can see I changed the subject title slightly to save getting into trouble.
thanks again
Roy
Plus gas. Never used it, but I will get a can next week.
Dunlop originals. Admittedly not the best design but I can attest to the effectiveness. Before I took the car off the road, it was in daily use and performed well. I have considered the 420..3 pot option and if on inspection the originals are in poor condition then so be it. But as I no longer live a high milage life, I'm quite happy to lock the wheels with the original Dunlops.
As you can see I changed the subject title slightly to save getting into trouble.
thanks again
Roy
Re: sticking clutch.
Hello Brian,
I didn't say that the replacements are not suitable merely that the Dunlops are not as bad as made out for normal everyday driving and if seviceable there is no point changing them?
Alec
I didn't say that the replacements are not suitable merely that the Dunlops are not as bad as made out for normal everyday driving and if seviceable there is no point changing them?
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Re: sticking clutch.
Oldtimer
Thanks re Plus gas suggestion. I tried all local stockist without success. But the next time I am on the internet I will get a can, sounds like good stuff. Meanwhile a 24" tommy bar did the trick.
as I have moved so far away from "clutch" I thought it best to continue the saga under a new thread headed "brakes".
Thank you so much for your contribution. Getting to be an oldtimer myself.
Regards
Roy
Thanks re Plus gas suggestion. I tried all local stockist without success. But the next time I am on the internet I will get a can, sounds like good stuff. Meanwhile a 24" tommy bar did the trick.
as I have moved so far away from "clutch" I thought it best to continue the saga under a new thread headed "brakes".
Thank you so much for your contribution. Getting to be an oldtimer myself.
Regards
Roy
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
