Hi
I'm looking at polishing up the alloy castings on my engine, rocker covers, breather housing, air intake etc and wondered if anyone else who has done this could give me a rough idea of the costs.
There are many companies that do alloy polishing. They will only really give a cost estimate if I photograph the part. Most of these parts can't be photographed unless I take them (or other parts) off the car. I could do with a rough indication without the hassle of taking bits off.
Ian
Alloy Polishing
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Jaguar MKII 3.8 manual. Triumph Vitesse 2.0l MK2. Triumph Bonneville 650 chop.
Re: Alloy Polishing
Depends on how 'polished' you want the items but I found that I got very good results with wire wool and scotchbrite type pads and solvol autosol (other similar pastes are available). Then polishing with a cloth with the polishing paste, then hand/drill buffing. On larger easier to get at items like rocker covers then a polishing mop on a drill or similar worked well.
No doubt professional polishers would do excellent job but I find that the finish does deteriorate even if laquered due to engine temperatures and such things as salt spray. Mind you my car is not concours just useable.
Regards,
No doubt professional polishers would do excellent job but I find that the finish does deteriorate even if laquered due to engine temperatures and such things as salt spray. Mind you my car is not concours just useable.
Regards,
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests
