Bullet bit ..... started taking the engine out today. Bottom end rebuild is the plan. New main bearings, crankshaft regrind etc.
Seems the main bearings should be replaced in the 46k mile service. I'm guessing this has never been done.
big end shennanigans
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Re: big end shennanigans
Hi, Jag engines can do huge mileages if looked after with regular oil changes etc so no one changes bearings at that mileage (stand to be corrected) except racing engines.
It would be a good article for the magazine if you could take a few pictures etc.
Best of luck.
Regards,
It would be a good article for the magazine if you could take a few pictures etc.
Best of luck.
Regards,
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
-
chrismpw142
- Posts:10
- Joined:Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:01 pm
Re: big end shennanigans
PPV- jag engines may do - but mine is the daimler v8 engine which, while being magnificent , is prone to chew through main bearings if maintenance is not adhered to - do I'm told.
Re: big end shennanigans
Not sure about that as tuners take the Daimler up to huge outputs without running bearings as they are quality engines designed by E Turner if I remember right.
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
-
chrismpw142
- Posts:10
- Joined:Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:01 pm
Re: big end shennanigans
They are great engines - to my ears the nicest sounding car ever made - but they're short and compact. This means the main bearings are quite narrow so all that force is concentrated in a small area. They can wear quickly if lube isn't up to scratch.
-
chrismpw142
- Posts:10
- Joined:Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:01 pm
Re: big end shennanigans
So here we go.
The engine is out and dangling by a piece of string in my garage
. It wasn't without eventfulness - the torque converter didn't stay nicely where it should have in the bell housing, necessitating the rempoval of the fan at the last minute to get enough clearance. Then the engine crane didn't go high enough to clear the radiator cowl, necessitating the missus and a neighbour having to kneel on the bumper while I pushed the car back while simultaneously tilting the sump past the cowl. Exciting stuff.
Shortly the magnificent lump will be taken off to the engineers. I am holding out for original vanderveld bearings to be fitted - but so far have only found 1 potential stockist (who is coy on prices). Most of the usual suppliers offer 'unbranded' bearings - no thanks.
I'm now after opinions on "Country" and "King" brand bearings - good or bad experiences, or any other brands that people could recommend.
Thanks in anticipation.
The engine is out and dangling by a piece of string in my garage
Shortly the magnificent lump will be taken off to the engineers. I am holding out for original vanderveld bearings to be fitted - but so far have only found 1 potential stockist (who is coy on prices). Most of the usual suppliers offer 'unbranded' bearings - no thanks.
I'm now after opinions on "Country" and "King" brand bearings - good or bad experiences, or any other brands that people could recommend.
Thanks in anticipation.
Re: big end shennanigans
Have you tried FW Thornton(https://www.fwthornton.co.uk/)? Ring them as their website does not do justice to the stock they hold. I had an old Honda motorbike and was told that there was no way I could get valves etc for it but they found some for me!
Might be worth a try.
Might be worth a try.
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
-
chrismpw142
- Posts:10
- Joined:Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:01 pm
Re: big end shennanigans
Thanks I will give them a bell.
Had looked at their website but it didn't report much of use, so hadn't pursued them.
Had looked at their website but it didn't report much of use, so hadn't pursued them.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests
