Hi,
I have an incontinent 1961 3.8 MkII, possibly due to the fact that I have an XJ6 oil pump in the sump.
I experimented with replacing the two hole plate behind the small round breather cover at the front of the head with the later mesh for the later engine from D Manners. Then running a clear 1/2" pipe to a sealed oil collector pot and onto a fitting tapped in just below the pancake air filter (similar arrangement to the later engines).
We then did 700 miles to Belgium the Netherlands, normally I would be adding oil after a 200 mile daily run, but I only added a little when we got home. The clear plastic pipe stayed clear and nothing in the collection pot.
I have now removed the collection pot and piped the breather straight back to the air cleaner, still with a little clear plastic pipe to monitor the oil, if any.
I have a large shallow bread basket filled with rags under the engine to try and keep the garage floor clean, but I appear not to be dropping much oil now (car parked overnight in a different position).
This MAY be of interest to those with the early engine and a scrowl type rear oil seal.
Brian
Crankcase breather
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
Re: Crankcase breather
Thanks for the info. I have fabricated a drip tray which I have fitted to the car to collect the oil from the rear crankshaft seal. I may try the mod you have done to see if there is a difference.
Regards,
Regards,
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: Crankcase breather
My '59MY Mk IX had the dreaded blue smoke on revs with only 53k miles up -- dreaded that is to its then owner
Did the crankcase breather and found the hose completely gunked up too -- so just washed the gauze, changed the hose and suddenly no need for cough sweets. Quite how this gunk actually resists crankcase pressure is a puzzle but it does
BTW, if you're mis-firing too, the effect of this gunk can be to cause your engine oil to become conductive to the point that if any gets on the plugs (and the crankcase pressure is elevated so there's a good chance) then you'll get
plug low resistance too. Changing plugs cures for a while but then you're back to misfire -- shorts on the plugs.
Check your plugs with a meggar -- ohm meter useless -- meggar must be at least a 600V one -- plugs must show ∞ high
Did the crankcase breather and found the hose completely gunked up too -- so just washed the gauze, changed the hose and suddenly no need for cough sweets. Quite how this gunk actually resists crankcase pressure is a puzzle but it does
BTW, if you're mis-firing too, the effect of this gunk can be to cause your engine oil to become conductive to the point that if any gets on the plugs (and the crankcase pressure is elevated so there's a good chance) then you'll get
plug low resistance too. Changing plugs cures for a while but then you're back to misfire -- shorts on the plugs.
Check your plugs with a meggar -- ohm meter useless -- meggar must be at least a 600V one -- plugs must show ∞ high
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests
