oil filter seals
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
- broughworld
- Posts:12
- Joined:Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:31 am
- Location:Nottinghamshire
Can anyone advise where exactly the rubber seals that come with new filter elements should sit. I've re-assembled my downard pointing oil filter but it now leaks from the top so I've obviously done something wrong!
1963 mk2 3.4 mod imperial maroon.
-
Ronniebiggs

- Posts:59
- Joined:Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:09 pm
Re: oil filter seals
Hi, there is an groove in the housing for the seal. I find the seal stays in place if it's wiped with oil first (always a good idea, stops it from puckering).
Another tip: soak the new filter in oil before fitting it. If possible, pre-fill the canister first. Gets you full oil pressure from the off.
Jay
Another tip: soak the new filter in oil before fitting it. If possible, pre-fill the canister first. Gets you full oil pressure from the off.
Jay
Jaguar 3.4 Mk2. As original as I can keep it whilst still being safe!
- broughworld
- Posts:12
- Joined:Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:31 am
- Location:Nottinghamshire
Re: oil filter seals
Hi Thanks, for the reply. I see it now. Thanks for the other top tips also.
1963 mk2 3.4 mod imperial maroon.
Re: oil filter seals
Jay's right on the fitting.
Here's some info that may be of help. The new oil filter comes with 3 oil seals,the nearest fit is the middle size one.
It always looks a bit precarious to me as it does not seem wide enough, but it does the job.
I did order a new seal Part no. 6883* from SNG hoping to get a better fit in the groove but it was far too wide so I didn't use it.
Undeterred I tracked down a seal from Moss Europe, Part number 8G619 and this fitted perfectly.
It is listed for MGA 1500, MGB, TD, TF.
Mick
Here's some info that may be of help. The new oil filter comes with 3 oil seals,the nearest fit is the middle size one.
It always looks a bit precarious to me as it does not seem wide enough, but it does the job.
I did order a new seal Part no. 6883* from SNG hoping to get a better fit in the groove but it was far too wide so I didn't use it.
Undeterred I tracked down a seal from Moss Europe, Part number 8G619 and this fitted perfectly.
It is listed for MGA 1500, MGB, TD, TF.
Mick
Re: oil filter seals
I just did a oil change on my MK2 3.4 , it has the up pointing filter , right pain in the A-- to change , I had a oil drip , so made sure the seal was sat in the groove 100 % , time will tell if I still have a drip , as you can see from the pictures , the old seal was not seated 100% , if it is still only a drip I can live with that , after all its a Jag right ,
Problem is you can't see once the filter housing is bolted down , very poor design
Problem is you can't see once the filter housing is bolted down , very poor design
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests