I've been given my late grandfather's S Type, 3.4 straight six manual. It's misfiring on 1 cylinder, so I want to do a top end rebuild on the engine. (I work on diesel engines everyday, but working with an old petrol should be a learning curve) I want to start with new spark plugs and HT leads, any suggestions as to where to look for them??
Also, is there anything I should know/ does and donts while working on this engine??
Cheers chaps!
Moved this from Modern S Type section, posted in by mistake...Doug.
1967 S-Type Engine 3.4
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Re: 1967 S-Type Engine 3.4
Hi, lots of things to check first to ensure that it is nothing simple before doing a head rebuild I would suggest. Usual culprits in ignition system, that includes distributor cap, leads and spark plugs. Could be a sticking valve if not run for ages, suggest a compression test is done to see if all cylinders give the same reading.
Usual sources would be the best, such as SNG Barratt, David Manners, Norman Motors, SC Parts, or if upgrading to simple electronic system then someone like Powerspark etc etc.
If you decide to do a rebuild then I suggest use the Jaguar service manual or the other option is someone like VSE or Gosnay's if machining work is needed.
Let us know how you are proceeding/getting on. Some pictures are always good.
Regards,
Usual sources would be the best, such as SNG Barratt, David Manners, Norman Motors, SC Parts, or if upgrading to simple electronic system then someone like Powerspark etc etc.
If you decide to do a rebuild then I suggest use the Jaguar service manual or the other option is someone like VSE or Gosnay's if machining work is needed.
Let us know how you are proceeding/getting on. Some pictures are always good.
Regards,
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Re: 1967 S-Type Engine 3.4
Hello George,
one peculiarity of these engines is that number one cylinder is the flywheel end of the engine and number six is at the waterpump end, If doing a timing check that could save some head scratching.
Alec
one peculiarity of these engines is that number one cylinder is the flywheel end of the engine and number six is at the waterpump end, If doing a timing check that could save some head scratching.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
