3.4 auto very sluggish from standing start

Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx

vegas602

Member
Posts:53
Joined:Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:42 pm
3.4 auto very sluggish from standing start

Postby vegas602 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:23 pm

I recently became a first time Mark 2 owner, having bought a 1968 340 auto, which has had a lot of work carried out to it but needs finishing off. When driving along above 50mph, the auto box kicks down fine and gives good acceleration.. However, when pulling away from stationary at junctions, etc, it simply 'glides' away and refuses to move with any sort of urgency until it has picked up a reasonable turn of speed and then will kick down. I'm not expecting it to be quick off the mark, but it seems very slow when pulling away at busy junctions etc..Is this the norm?

User avatar
piman
Posts:1183
Joined:Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:32 pm
Location:Oswestry

Re: 3.4 auto very sluggish from standing start

Postby piman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:54 am

Hello Vegas,

I always buy manual cars so I'm no automatic expert, but it sounds as if it's starting in second rather than first. Does your car have a manual engagement of first if so try that?

Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome

vegas602

Member
Posts:53
Joined:Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:42 pm

Re: 3.4 auto very sluggish from standing start

Postby vegas602 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:50 pm

I'm not too up on classic auto box's either Alec. It seems to be a combination of my ham fistedness and the select lever going over a little too easily into the D2 position whilst displaying D1. The actual gears when properly selected work absolutely fine, so will have to have a look . On a different note, having taken advantage of the mild weather, Ive now got all my new door seals (obtained from CMC) fitted and they seem very good. :D Phil


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests