1987 240, missfire, low compression on cyl 1 & lead free
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Hi, can anyone recommend a good repairer for the above problems. I am in Monmouth, S, Wales but do not mind travelling. I thought this might be a good time to get the head converted to unleaded at the same time as sorting these problems. Any idea of costs.
Re: 1987 240, missfire, low compression on cyl 1 & lead free
Hello Nivekjag,
what sort of figures did you record and did you try a wet test afterwards?
The first thing I would do is to check and adjust the valve clearances and retest.
If the above does not bring any real improvement then it does look as if the head will have to be removed and the source of low compression found. As the XK engine already has inserts in the valve seats it could be that just a valve replacement and re seating the valves is all that is necessary.
If you could do the above and come back with the figures we can advise further.
VSE are perhaps the most well known XK engine rebuilders in Wales (Llandrindod Wells), not exactly next door; perhaps some one else can recommend someone closer to you?
Alec
what sort of figures did you record and did you try a wet test afterwards?
The first thing I would do is to check and adjust the valve clearances and retest.
If the above does not bring any real improvement then it does look as if the head will have to be removed and the source of low compression found. As the XK engine already has inserts in the valve seats it could be that just a valve replacement and re seating the valves is all that is necessary.
If you could do the above and come back with the figures we can advise further.
VSE are perhaps the most well known XK engine rebuilders in Wales (Llandrindod Wells), not exactly next door; perhaps some one else can recommend someone closer to you?
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Re: 1987 240, missfire, low compression on cyl 1 & lead free
Hi Alec,
Thanks for the feedback. The mechanic who does all my vehicles agreed to give the car a look over but was not interested in working on the car. I think he said that cylinder 1 had 130psi & the rest 160psi. I would prefer to take the car in to be done. I have emailed VSE about the problem and asked for some idea of costs. I think it would be a good idea to have a general vehicle check done via JEC. I believe they nominate someone to come out and give an assessment. I appreciate this is normally done before you buy the car but would still be useful to me now. I am a bit concerned the car might end up a money pit with repairs purchase and repairs / restoration far exceeding its value.
Kevin
Thanks for the feedback. The mechanic who does all my vehicles agreed to give the car a look over but was not interested in working on the car. I think he said that cylinder 1 had 130psi & the rest 160psi. I would prefer to take the car in to be done. I have emailed VSE about the problem and asked for some idea of costs. I think it would be a good idea to have a general vehicle check done via JEC. I believe they nominate someone to come out and give an assessment. I appreciate this is normally done before you buy the car but would still be useful to me now. I am a bit concerned the car might end up a money pit with repairs purchase and repairs / restoration far exceeding its value.
Kevin
Re: 1987 240, missfire, low compression on cyl 1 & lead free
Hi Alec,
I have been in contact with VSE who do not take complete cars so they are out. Any other ideas?
Kevin
I have been in contact with VSE who do not take complete cars so they are out. Any other ideas?
Kevin
Re: 1987 240, missfire, low compression on cyl 1 & lead free
Hello Kevin,
I'm sorry I don't know of any others.
130 psi is not that low, can you do a valve clearance check, or at least find someone who is willing to do that for you? (I don't quite understand why the mechanic you use doesn't want to work on that particular car of yours?)
If resetting the clearances doesn't do it then I would find a local garage to remove the head and then get the necessary work done by VSE or similar specialist.
Alec
I'm sorry I don't know of any others.
130 psi is not that low, can you do a valve clearance check, or at least find someone who is willing to do that for you? (I don't quite understand why the mechanic you use doesn't want to work on that particular car of yours?)
If resetting the clearances doesn't do it then I would find a local garage to remove the head and then get the necessary work done by VSE or similar specialist.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests