How Heavy...

Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx

User avatar
sweller

Member
Posts:166
Joined:Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:02 pm
How Heavy...

Postby sweller » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:48 am

...is an engine?

Can it be lifted by two from floor to the back of a Landrover?

I may have an alternative - and cheaper - solution to my current problem.

Thanks,

Simon

User avatar
piman
Posts:1183
Joined:Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:32 pm
Location:Oswestry

Postby piman » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:04 am

Hello Simon,

I would say that in not feasible or safe. I believe the weight is about 7 cwt, about 350 Kg? This may include ancillaries, I'm not sure but even without, it is a significant weight.

I suggest you hire a portable engine crane to do this.

Alec

smiffy
Posts:157
Joined:Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:52 pm

Postby smiffy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:39 am

Hi Simon
I agree with Alec, the XK engine is a heavy lump even without all the ancilliaries. Two of you will not be able to lift it into the back of a Landy and manoeuvre it. Hire a crane, it will save your backs and fingers, and make the job much, much easier.
Good luck, David

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Postby J44EAG » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:06 pm

The engine is quoted as weighing 1410kg without gearbox on one site I visited.

That is around 27cwt in old money if I have my calculations correct.

A decent lift you will need!

Mike


User avatar
piman
Posts:1183
Joined:Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:32 pm
Location:Oswestry

Postby piman » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:20 pm

Hello Mike,

I suggest that is a misprint, 410 Kg I could accept. Bear in mind a Mk 2 car complete is about 30 Cwt or 1500 ish Kg.

Alec

TerryBeck

Member
Posts:39
Joined:Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:14 pm

Postby TerryBeck » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:23 pm

I agree, but the most important point has already been made and I make no excuse for re-emphasising it: it's too heavy to try to lift without some kind of engine hoist. don't want to sound melodramatic, but to do so would be to risk almost certain injury, very probably serious.

If you're anywhere near Norfolk, I've got a hoist you are welcome to borrow.

Terry

User avatar
sweller

Member
Posts:166
Joined:Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Postby sweller » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:40 pm

I have a hoist - so thanks for the offers (I'm in Sussex) - however me, my hoist and the engine are not in the same place. I also don't have any transport.

I'll have to hire a van and take hoist and van to the engine - if the replacement engine possibility comes to pass.

Thanks,

Simon


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest