Has any member wired up the headlights to come on when you turn on the spotlights?
Simon Cronin
Headlights/spotlights
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
Headlight wiring
Hi Simon
I assume you mean foglights rather than spotlights, unless you've added some lamps. Have not tried this myself, but think carefully about the current load through the light switch and its supply cable with four high current bulbs in circuit. Might be best to use a relay to switch the lamps, taking a new fused supply to the relay to supply the lamp current.
Best wishes, David
I assume you mean foglights rather than spotlights, unless you've added some lamps. Have not tried this myself, but think carefully about the current load through the light switch and its supply cable with four high current bulbs in circuit. Might be best to use a relay to switch the lamps, taking a new fused supply to the relay to supply the lamp current.
Best wishes, David
-
ecosselynx
- Posts:265
- Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:08 am
- Location:Magnou, France
Hi Simon
I haven't tried it, but have occasionally thought of wiring the spot lights to a separate switch and turn them on/off when you wish (just never got around to doing it). The internal bridging of the Mk2 light switch, switches off the headlights when you turn on the spot lights. I suppose you could wire the spot lights in with the head lights, so they all come on together, although this might not be the best solution!
regards
John H
I haven't tried it, but have occasionally thought of wiring the spot lights to a separate switch and turn them on/off when you wish (just never got around to doing it). The internal bridging of the Mk2 light switch, switches off the headlights when you turn on the spot lights. I suppose you could wire the spot lights in with the head lights, so they all come on together, although this might not be the best solution!
regards
John H
As Smitty hinted at .... The inboard lights origionally fitted were Fog lamps, not spot lights (often refered to as driving lights).
The rule is that forward fog lights should go out with main beams on, where as Spot lights should go out when dip beams are selected. Don't ask me why. I didn't make the rules. Likewise my spots are "technically" illegal, 'cos they are mounted below the bumper, but telling Mr Plod that the car is older than the rule usually works.
Jaguar, in their wisdom, decided to go one step further, in that both main and dip beams are out when the fogs are on. With positive earth dynamo electrics, and no relays, it's probably not a good idea to have that much drain on your battery. Also, considering that the wiring and switchgear is 40 to 50 years old, it might not like running this much current regularly, especially through the switch.
I have every intention of keeping my origional fogs, adding spots, running lights, upgrading the headlights to Quartz Iodine, and all sorts of LED experiments, but my car is already running an alternator and converted to neg. earth. After a full inspection and trace of all the wiring ccts (I'm not convinced it's been done correctly) I have every intention of completely re-wiring the car to modern standards and including relays into most circuits as well.
Relays may seem an added complication to most people, but they are put there for good reason. They allow your lights, horns, etc, to draw heavy currents from the battery, without this heavy current passing through the switchgear and burning the contacts.
Likewise, more modern cars have many more fuses fitted. My Mk2 is a '69 reg, so is one of the last built, but even then it still only appears to have two fuses. One for all Igition switched ccts, and one for the rest. On 40yr old cables, dodgy or what?
Johnny M
The rule is that forward fog lights should go out with main beams on, where as Spot lights should go out when dip beams are selected. Don't ask me why. I didn't make the rules. Likewise my spots are "technically" illegal, 'cos they are mounted below the bumper, but telling Mr Plod that the car is older than the rule usually works.
Jaguar, in their wisdom, decided to go one step further, in that both main and dip beams are out when the fogs are on. With positive earth dynamo electrics, and no relays, it's probably not a good idea to have that much drain on your battery. Also, considering that the wiring and switchgear is 40 to 50 years old, it might not like running this much current regularly, especially through the switch.
I have every intention of keeping my origional fogs, adding spots, running lights, upgrading the headlights to Quartz Iodine, and all sorts of LED experiments, but my car is already running an alternator and converted to neg. earth. After a full inspection and trace of all the wiring ccts (I'm not convinced it's been done correctly) I have every intention of completely re-wiring the car to modern standards and including relays into most circuits as well.
Relays may seem an added complication to most people, but they are put there for good reason. They allow your lights, horns, etc, to draw heavy currents from the battery, without this heavy current passing through the switchgear and burning the contacts.
Likewise, more modern cars have many more fuses fitted. My Mk2 is a '69 reg, so is one of the last built, but even then it still only appears to have two fuses. One for all Igition switched ccts, and one for the rest. On 40yr old cables, dodgy or what?
Johnny M
As Smitty hinted at .... The inboard lights origionally fitted were Fog lamps, not spot lights (often refered to as driving lights)
Actually, the Lucas 'Fog Ranger' lights as fitted to the Mark 2 were also available as a spotlight version with clear glass. As far as I know these aren't being reproduced (Holden don't list them on their website) but you still see them fitted to cars from time to time.
Actually, the Lucas 'Fog Ranger' lights as fitted to the Mark 2 were also available as a spotlight version with clear glass. As far as I know these aren't being reproduced (Holden don't list them on their website) but you still see them fitted to cars from time to time.
'Scuse my ignorance. I didn't know that spots were offered as an option by the factory. They are not listed in the parts catalogues, but then again, Browns Lane were quite amenable to "Special" requests.
I obtained a set of these rare rear mount clear glass spots at a car boot sale a few years back, and do intend fitting them. I'm sure I've seen the similar bottom mount type (as fitted on bumper of Mk1, Mk9, and many BMC cars) advertised recently by one of the repro firms, but again, I think they were fogs. I'd have to do a bit of reserch to find out who.
To be legal, spots should be wired to a separate switch, not the fog position on the lights switch. Unless your car dates to before the law was written (?) they should also be wired so that they can only come on with main beam, have their own dash indication, and should automaticaly go out when dip is selected.
Johnny M
I obtained a set of these rare rear mount clear glass spots at a car boot sale a few years back, and do intend fitting them. I'm sure I've seen the similar bottom mount type (as fitted on bumper of Mk1, Mk9, and many BMC cars) advertised recently by one of the repro firms, but again, I think they were fogs. I'd have to do a bit of reserch to find out who.
To be legal, spots should be wired to a separate switch, not the fog position on the lights switch. Unless your car dates to before the law was written (?) they should also be wired so that they can only come on with main beam, have their own dash indication, and should automaticaly go out when dip is selected.
Johnny M
Seen today (Sat 28th) SC Parts have both spot and fog in back-mount or bumper-mount variations. £75 each though, but if your shells are good they can supply the inserts at £29 each.
Should be a cheaper way of converting existing fogs to proper spots, but these are all Lucas pattern parts, so I cannot guarentee they will fit into the Jaguar shells.
Johnny M
Should be a cheaper way of converting existing fogs to proper spots, but these are all Lucas pattern parts, so I cannot guarentee they will fit into the Jaguar shells.
Johnny M
Hello Johnny,
a small point, the fog lights are for fog so dip\main are not required. Personally I think they are a waste of time and incidentally positioning your spot lights lower than the bumper wastes their potential. Lights need to be high not low to work on anything but a level and smooth road, of which we have neither in my part of the world?
Alec
a small point, the fog lights are for fog so dip\main are not required. Personally I think they are a waste of time and incidentally positioning your spot lights lower than the bumper wastes their potential. Lights need to be high not low to work on anything but a level and smooth road, of which we have neither in my part of the world?
Alec
Hi Alec,
My current spotlights are the modern black miniature 'Projector' type and don't really suit the classic style of a Mk2. Having the later slimline bumpers, I have been able to mount them below and well back, where they are almost unseen, but still quite effective.
As I've mentioned earlier, I do have a set of rearmount Lucas spots. As they stick out further, my aim is to mount them in place of the existing Fograngers, then mount the Fograngers on the outer side of the headlights. This will of couse put them behind the overriders, so I'll have to try to move them further inboard, below the headlights, as they were on the Mk VII. Nothing's ever straight forward on a Jag is it?
As to the High or low mount theories, The high mounted flood lights on my 4x4 are the bee's knees for seeing where you're going, but I can quite understand them being illegal for road use (they are Floods not spots or fogs). I'm a little puzzled by the number of 4x4s and HGVs that are charging around the roads with these high level off-road lamps blazing. Has there been a change in the Law, or are our boys in blue too busy with their paperwork to notice them?
Johnny M
My current spotlights are the modern black miniature 'Projector' type and don't really suit the classic style of a Mk2. Having the later slimline bumpers, I have been able to mount them below and well back, where they are almost unseen, but still quite effective.
As I've mentioned earlier, I do have a set of rearmount Lucas spots. As they stick out further, my aim is to mount them in place of the existing Fograngers, then mount the Fograngers on the outer side of the headlights. This will of couse put them behind the overriders, so I'll have to try to move them further inboard, below the headlights, as they were on the Mk VII. Nothing's ever straight forward on a Jag is it?
As to the High or low mount theories, The high mounted flood lights on my 4x4 are the bee's knees for seeing where you're going, but I can quite understand them being illegal for road use (they are Floods not spots or fogs). I'm a little puzzled by the number of 4x4s and HGVs that are charging around the roads with these high level off-road lamps blazing. Has there been a change in the Law, or are our boys in blue too busy with their paperwork to notice them?
Johnny M
Just as an experiment, I took the plastic covers off the high level floodlights on my 4x4 and drove it into town.
The floods weren't switched on, but I only got four miles from home before I was stopped and informed that it was illegal to drive on the road with them uncovered.
I enquired as to the legality of the use of high level lights on many HGVs and 4x4s, but was sternly told, "Not on my patch they don't!"
I put the covers back on and he went away happy. Glad he didn't ask to see the Mot cert. though.
Johnny.
The floods weren't switched on, but I only got four miles from home before I was stopped and informed that it was illegal to drive on the road with them uncovered.
I enquired as to the legality of the use of high level lights on many HGVs and 4x4s, but was sternly told, "Not on my patch they don't!"
I put the covers back on and he went away happy. Glad he didn't ask to see the Mot cert. though.
Johnny.
I realise this thread has been quiet for some time, and should be in the Electrics section, but it does seem to have attracted a few who may be able to answer my querie.
As mentioned earlier above, I have a pair of origional Lucas rear mount spotlights which I bought at a boot sale some years ago. I have now unearthed these from my shed. They are definitely made in England by Lucas, but they are NOT "FogRangers" as fitted to my Mk2. Very similar, but different, and definitely narrow beam Spots. not wide beam Fogs.
They do bring up a further querie though ... They are aparently both exactly the same as each other, inside and out, and have identical bulbs, BUT ... one shell is stamped Lucas WFT576 and the other Lucas WLR576.
Any Lucas experts out there that can explain the difference? Is it possible that the WFT shell origionaly housed a fog lamp?
Johnny
As mentioned earlier above, I have a pair of origional Lucas rear mount spotlights which I bought at a boot sale some years ago. I have now unearthed these from my shed. They are definitely made in England by Lucas, but they are NOT "FogRangers" as fitted to my Mk2. Very similar, but different, and definitely narrow beam Spots. not wide beam Fogs.
They do bring up a further querie though ... They are aparently both exactly the same as each other, inside and out, and have identical bulbs, BUT ... one shell is stamped Lucas WFT576 and the other Lucas WLR576.
Any Lucas experts out there that can explain the difference? Is it possible that the WFT shell origionaly housed a fog lamp?
Johnny
I had a chat with my regular MOT tester (PR Engineering, Hove - recommended) about the requirements for fog lamps as I intend to fit a rear lamp to come on with the front fogs (period looking, with relays etc).
My concern was the lack of tell-tale and he said fogs on my 1965 3.8s weren't a testable item and looking at the MOT testers manual bears this out.
It says: "The inspection of rear fog lamps is confined to the one rear fog lamp which is required to be fitted to the centre or offside of
vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980."
It is quite specific about testing being confined to post 1980 - in other instances (such as additional brake lights) it's clear that if it's fitted it must work but not with rear fogs.
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm
If a tester gets really funny about it it would be easy to simply unbolt and remove the rear for lamp.
Regards,
Simon
My concern was the lack of tell-tale and he said fogs on my 1965 3.8s weren't a testable item and looking at the MOT testers manual bears this out.
It says: "The inspection of rear fog lamps is confined to the one rear fog lamp which is required to be fitted to the centre or offside of
vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980."
It is quite specific about testing being confined to post 1980 - in other instances (such as additional brake lights) it's clear that if it's fitted it must work but not with rear fogs.
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm
If a tester gets really funny about it it would be easy to simply unbolt and remove the rear for lamp.
Regards,
Simon
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests
