Brake light switch
Moderators:Aceman, ecosselynx
-
weddingjags

- Posts:22
- Joined:Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:30 pm
Has anyone found a reliable brake light switch or a work around to replace them? The switch on my car fails every year and I replace it and slowly but surely it fails. From what I can find on the web it is generally accepted that modern replacements are poor quality. I have also read about wiring a relay into the circuit. Any experiences out there?
Re: Brake light switch
Hello Weddingjags,
unless you can find a good second hand switch, (the originals seemed to last for a very long time) another option is to fit a switch to the brake pedal. Here's a link to show one that Triumph use:- http://www.chriswitor.com/search.php Obviously you will need to make and fix a suitable bracket and extend the wiring to suit.
Whether the spare new switches will be reliable if a relay is fitted is worth looking at? It would be simpler than fitting a brake pedal switch as it can be fitted local to the the brake line switch and just needs a minor wiring alteration, but is working on the assumption that the current switch contacts are too weak and not some other problem with them?
Alec
unless you can find a good second hand switch, (the originals seemed to last for a very long time) another option is to fit a switch to the brake pedal. Here's a link to show one that Triumph use:- http://www.chriswitor.com/search.php Obviously you will need to make and fix a suitable bracket and extend the wiring to suit.
Whether the spare new switches will be reliable if a relay is fitted is worth looking at? It would be simpler than fitting a brake pedal switch as it can be fitted local to the the brake line switch and just needs a minor wiring alteration, but is working on the assumption that the current switch contacts are too weak and not some other problem with them?
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
-
weddingjags

- Posts:22
- Joined:Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:30 pm
Re: Brake light switch
Thanks Alec,
I have considered fitting a switch to the pedal but as a last resort. I have found what is claimed to be a genuine Jaguar, made in England brake light switch which I have ordered and will give a try. I guess next stop will be the relay and if that doesn't work I will fit a switch to the pedal.
I am surprised that more people haven't raised this issue on the forum. I also have a Daimler 250 which I have owned for around 5 years and had to fit a new switch to it last year. That one seems to be holding out well.
I just wish pattern part manufacturers upped their quality and charged a bit more, I would rather pay more for a reliable long lasting component than save a few pounds on a piece of junk.
I have considered fitting a switch to the pedal but as a last resort. I have found what is claimed to be a genuine Jaguar, made in England brake light switch which I have ordered and will give a try. I guess next stop will be the relay and if that doesn't work I will fit a switch to the pedal.
I am surprised that more people haven't raised this issue on the forum. I also have a Daimler 250 which I have owned for around 5 years and had to fit a new switch to it last year. That one seems to be holding out well.
I just wish pattern part manufacturers upped their quality and charged a bit more, I would rather pay more for a reliable long lasting component than save a few pounds on a piece of junk.
Re: Brake light switch
Hello Weddingjags,
good luck with the replacement.
"I just wish pattern part manufacturers upped their quality and charged a bit more, I would rather pay more for a reliable long lasting component than save a few pounds on a piece of junk."
Exactly and I see that view echoed in various forums, rubber items in particular do not seem to last very long now, but electrical items also leave a lot to be desired?
Alec
good luck with the replacement.
"I just wish pattern part manufacturers upped their quality and charged a bit more, I would rather pay more for a reliable long lasting component than save a few pounds on a piece of junk."
Exactly and I see that view echoed in various forums, rubber items in particular do not seem to last very long now, but electrical items also leave a lot to be desired?
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest